This explains my varying response to kale chips, chocolate, coffee/tea, coconut oil, nuts, coconut cream, and cheese - sometimes I'm fine and other times I get nausea, loose stool, diarrhea, gas, and/or abdominal pain. I've also had a bad response to all yeast which are members of the mold family- including the so-called "probiotic," Saccharomyces cerevisiae often added to vitamins, probiotics, baking, brewing, and even kale chips! Nobody ever figured it out until David Asprey discussed this with me so if this sounds familiar you might be mycotoxined! I don't have any issues to raw milk, any butter/ghee/ heavy cream so it's not a dairy or casein issue.
Molds are implicated in some: cancer, liver damage, moodiness, diarrhea, diabetes, kidney disease, stopping detox, etc.
About 30% of the population, nearly 1/3 are sensitive to molds also called mycotoxins members of the fungus group. Mushrooms are a fungus and should be avoided until allergy symptoms are resolved. Anyone with allergies should avoid mold until their gut heals.
At Paleo FX 12 in Austin many told me Nutiva and Artisana (in glass jars) at make reliable coconut oils without mold but in any coconut oil if you find you have a response - throw it away!
Mold can be found in:
chocolate (keep refrigerated, and once opened eat within 2 weeks)
fruit, especially DRIED fruits (raisins, figs), berries (FROZEN organic is a good substitute), grapes, apples (bruised, discolored, damaged fruit are also suspicious)
most coffee (only very pricey coffee tends to be free of mold, and decaf has more mold then regular)
tea (especially individual teabags)
nuts, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup (refrigerate or you might have an allergy to aflatoxin, the mold that grows on it)
spices especially from tropical countries like Asia/Latin America (use within 6 months - don't use old spices)
ALL grains and legumes/beans (ANOTHER REASON TO GO PALEO!) like corn, oats, rye, wheat, barley, sorghum, millet, rice (use within 6 months)
wine and beer - yeasts used
kombucha (fermented drink), sake (fermented rice alcohol) - yeasts used
breads (yeasts are used, and they are from the fungus family)
cheeses (especially blue cheese - the blue is mold)
potatoes - watch for toxic green spots.
Some good resources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin
Great powerpoint http://www.asprey.net/mold/
Some good info in the chart: http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/455/%20
60 min video http://vimeo.com/26421404
asked byLady_Arwen (6259)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on May 04, 2012
at 05:58 PM
Isn't CO antifungal though soooooo
on March 28, 2013
at 11:38 AM
And don't forget to avoid LEFTOVERS. Mold grows quickly on leftovers (even in the fridge).
I've been reacting to many of the foods mentioned above (especially dark chocolate and leftovers). I thought it might have been histamine because the 'foods-2-avoid' closely overlap what's mentioned above. I never could explain why I was reacting to sweet potatoes, berries and sometimes coconut oil.
During allergy testing, the only items I reacted to were bakers yeast and brewers yeast.
Today, I'm going to tweak my foods a bit with mold in mind and see how I do.
People with migraines are told to avoid foods high in tyramine (again: many of the foods above).
Thanks for the post,