White rice has higher GI than brown rice/cracked wheat and hence it causes less insulin spike.
But why paleo ppl believe that white rice is better than brown rice or cracked wheat?
asked byNyarlathotep (0)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on February 25, 2014
at 01:06 PM
Health benefits of white rice:
- White rice provide energy. Carbohydrates are the quickest source and white rice is rich in carbohydrates.
- White rice contains important amino acids and when rice is served with a meat dish, the diet is fairly complete in terms of required muscle building amino acids.
- White rice has mild diuretic properties and serves as a digestive aid and natural anti-inflammatory. The protein content is important for muscle development and preserving lean body mass.
Health benefits of brown rice:
- Brown rice is the “unrefined” version of white rice.Brown rice is rich in selenium which reduces the risk for developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
- Brown rice is rich in Naturally-Occurring Oils. Naturally occurring oils are beneficial for the body as these healthful fats help normalize cholesterol levels.
- The fiber content of brown rice keeps bowel function at it’s peak since it makes digestion that much easier.
Health benefits of Cracked Wheat:
- The women who ate whole grains were also far less likely to have an increase in weight than those who ate refined grains.
- Cracked Wheat and Breast Cancer Prevention - A diet rich in whole grains is high in fiber, a nutrient that offers significant protection against breast cancer.
[ EDIT by Matt 11: removed spam link from this and all of your posts. Seriously, f-off. ]
on February 21, 2014
at 09:52 PM
Here's Mark Sisson's take: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#axzz2tzmUSukT This seems to pretty much line up with what I think. White rice is probably the most "healthful" non-paleo food out there. I would assume it does no damage as long as the rest of your diet is solid. I would avoid brown rice.
on February 21, 2014
at 07:21 PM
Some people believe that white rice is better because they claim that it has less anti-nutrients than brown rice. Nevertheless, none of those foods you mentioned (wheat or rice) are Paleo, as all of them are grains.