1

votes

Would you do anything about this?

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created January 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Hi all!

So I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 2 years ago. I found paleo about 7 months ago, and aside from a few minor slip-ups during the holidays, I've been paleo since.

Supplements: Cod liver oil w/ vitamin D, Vitamin K, 5000 IU Vit D/day, Adrecor in AM, Calm-PRT in PM, Vitamin B12 sublingually, Sea kelp, Calcium/Magnesium Supplement, bio-kult probiotic (candea)

Diagnosis: Celiac disease, alopecia areata, gross idiopathic hematuria, and autoimmune skin issues.

I'm a 5'2", 21 y/o female. Pre-celiac diagnosis, I was 110 lbs. Post celiac diagnosis, I was a very active 132 lb person. I was bike riding everyday this summer (which I truly never had the energy to do!)

Now, it's the middle of winter here in New England, and I'm relatively sedentary. I just had my first crossfit session. It's 120 dollars a month for a student membership, and I'm joining on the 25th.

So, I got on the scale the other day, and I'm 151 lbs, which shocked me! I think, honestly, that I've been feeling so great, I lost track of the calories! That, and I ate a lot of starchy foods over xmas and new years (gluten free sausage/no cheese pizza from dominoes for example!) :O

AKA junk food.

What would you all recommend I do about the weight gain? I will start crossfit when I get paid. Should I track my calories? Does it make sense to cut down to 1200 calories a day when I'm sedentary? Low carb? Should I not worry and see what happens when I join the gym? Is this just a result of my body finding it's balance after being deficient for so long? Should I join a regular gym and do a bunch of cardio??

My skin used to have a lot of problems, and I keep getting compliments on how it looks... Very clear, healthy complexion. I was always anemic, but now I feel energetic and lively, with a crit of 45%!! It used to always be around 20% pre-autoimmune paleo. But I am a size 8 in jeans now. It's normal for me to have a 5-10 lb weight gain over the winter, and it magically melts off once the warm weather hits... I wonder if that will happen this year, and maybe I'm just too sedentary?

I have gained more fat... but, I feel healthy and strong, unlike ever before.

This is me: (and my parrot...)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/qoe5w http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/qoe5w.jpg

4bd4e2fe6a095663f80c69656936e487

(744)

on January 29, 2013
at 10:13 PM

I wouldn't consume cod liver oil. I would avoid polyunsaturated fats to optimize thyroid function.

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:57 PM

Ah, Thanks! I'm not sure- Kind of liked it. Maybe I'll do a month because I'm curious, and see how I feel. Due to the celiac, I've never been able to put on the muscle, and I feel great lately, so I'd like to take advantage of it!

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:56 PM

Ha! I actually enjoyed your humor. But good advice in there!

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:55 PM

120 is unlimited, and it's the boston area (Salem, NH!)

97d98cdf2f18fa2c0bd8567ea1159609

(1047)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:26 PM

Kara & Amy B - $120 per month is cheap. For my CF gym, I pay $148.00 per month with my Law Enforcement discount they offer. For an unnlimited WOD membership per month it runs around $220.

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 06:41 PM

I plateued at 120 for about 5 months, then again at 132 for about 4.5 months.

3ce6a0d24be025e2f2af534545bdd1d7

(26217)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:26 PM

so as far as you know this could be continuous weight gain from 110 to 151 without an plateau?

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:24 PM

gaining*********

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:23 PM

When I was going to 132, I felt like I was gainging muscle. I last weighed in at 132 in October. I've gone up 19 lbs since about Thanksgiving!

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:21 PM

I was slowly gaining from 110 to 132 over about 1.5 years, but I felt great the whole time. I just recently hit 151, and I weighed myself when I felt overweight. I had (some) noticable fat gain, and I thought I just felt "off" since the holidays and getting off autoimmune paleo for a week in Florida 12/13-12/20. Definitely a fattier body composition.

3ce6a0d24be025e2f2af534545bdd1d7

(26217)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:19 PM

Just to clarify, (1) How Long were you at 132? (2) When you gained 20lbs (to 151), did you notice a difference in your body composition? Clothes?

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:14 PM

Veterinary school on St Kitts (Saint Christopher)... Can't wait to see what paleo options are down there!

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:13 PM

150/month. I have 3 months before I go to school in the carribean and I really need to learn more about strength training. It's a lot... But I hope it really helps. I also need the paleo community they provide! :-)

Fd70d71f4f8195c3a098eda4fc817d4f

(8014)

on January 15, 2013
at 05:08 PM

No advice for you just yet. Only wanted to say: $120 for a *student* membership? YIKES! I hate to ask what the full price is.

  • 7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

    asked by

    (641)
  • Views
    1K
  • Last Activity
    1284D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

2 Answers

1
7bf306ada57db47547e9da39a415edf6

(11214)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:22 PM

I think crossfit is overrated. 90% of the battle is diet, and $120 a month to deal with the remaining 10% seems ridiculous. Chances are high they will overtrain you, and you will end up fighting the 90% battle while injured and therefore more sedentary than you are now. If they are good, they will teach you how to lift correctly, and even then it is in your best interests to leave as soon as you learn how and go join the local Y or something.

Fastest route to weight loss:

Shangri-La Diet + Low carbohydrate + Paleo (be strict) + calorie restriction (1200 is probably good for your height).

Aim for nutrient density and enough protein to keep your muscle mass. Exercise just enough to keep what you have too- more will make you hungrier and interfere with your weight loss goals.

There is a place for crossfit and other high exercise lifestyles, but they don't work well when you are trying to lose weight. They work well, or may work well (I doubt marathon running will ever work well for anyone) after the weight is lost and you can focus on the goals requisite to whatever sport you are trying to get proficient in.

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:57 PM

Ah, Thanks! I'm not sure- Kind of liked it. Maybe I'll do a month because I'm curious, and see how I feel. Due to the celiac, I've never been able to put on the muscle, and I feel great lately, so I'd like to take advantage of it!

0
A968087cc1dd66d480749c02e4619ef4

(20436)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:15 PM

Ditch the parrot. Parrots aren't paleo. Get yourself a wooly mammoth.

Seriously, you could wait and see what the xfit does for you. Many people report excellent results. Avoid the cheating and snacking and your natural hunger should moderate (make sure you are getting enough protein/meat). You could walk around a bit in the meantime, long walks are excellent. Old timers considered them mandatory.

Worst case - don't eat anything unless you go outside anf find/kill it yourself.

7dab2d8c97e44d8d0c298e5c9d5d75bc

(641)

on January 15, 2013
at 07:56 PM

Ha! I actually enjoyed your humor. But good advice in there!

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!