Hello all. I've been a fairly strict low-carb paleo disciple for about a decade and have done very well on it. Just over a year ago I started taking an SSRI (Celexa) and it seems to have f***ed my metabolism beyond repair. The first 6 months were fine - I was working out and maintaining my usual 5'9" 170 lb fairly lean body composition. From months 6 to 9 I rapidly accumulated abdominal fat and gained 15 to 20 lbs in three months. I chalked it up to straying a bit from my paleo ways over the summer and figured I could shed it all pretty quickly by tightening up the diet (as usual). No amount of dietary strictness or HIIT/resistance training made a difference. I kept gaining. I stopped the drug completely in March and have topped out at 194 lbs. My recent blood labs are all great and within excellent paleo ranges. Under the supervision of a naturopath and dietician with a paleo bent, I've been trying to get my old self back. Here's what I've been doing over the past month:
- Relatively low carb (50-100g) / high protein and fat paleo (to deal with insulin).
- 8 hours sleep in a pitch black room (to deal with seratonin, growth hormone, and cortisol).
- B12 shots (I'm a little low).
- Rhodeola (to reduce cortisol).
- Lemon water and an herbal naturopathic treatment (liver support).
- Digestive enzymes and bitters (suspected poor digestion).
- Cut caffeine.
- HIIT and/or weight training as usual 3 to 5 days a week.
My questions are: Any idea why I'm stuck? Is there anything else I should be doing / not doing?
asked byRiveted (3259)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!