I've always found tap water generally unpleasant. I want to hydrate/ find a solution to tasty/healthy/clean-feeling water.
(TL;DR: Tap water tastes bad. Mineral "(filtered over minerals for a clean, crisp taste") PUR filter + tap water tastes bad.
Feel ill when drinking either. Drink bottled water because hydration is so crucial.
Chlorine sensitivity to water vapors when bathing.
Would $200 PurPro [essentially Berkey filter made completely of stainless steel] be worth it/fix problem? Any ideas re: why the water makes me feel ill?)
Faucet in home may have a dirty spout (from various debris/moldy/dirty things being washed in it before). Its water tastes very bad -- like dirt or unclean things are mixed into it. Not quite bitter, and somewhat reminiscent of the smell of gasoline in a gas station, but in taste.
I purchased a $25 PUR faucet filter, "filtered over minerals for a clean, crisp taste" recently to mitigate necessity to buy bottle water/drink water elsewhere.
The water tastes... slightly better but very... bitter or raw. In hindsight, the taste somewhat reminds me of trace mineral supplements but strengthened ten- or a hundred-fold.
It also makes me feel ill if I attempt to drink approx. 8 oz./15-60 mins.
I have been considering purchasing a PurPro water filter (appears high-quality, filters fluoride, heavy metals, toxins; metallic countertop cylinder filter made of stainless steel) for a long time. It appears to essentially be like a Berkey water filter but all stainless/metallic, for those familiar with Berkeys.
But, I don't know why the tap/PUR filtered tap make me feel ill and bottled water generally doesn't.
I have experienced similar effects (feeling ill) with Fiji bottled water. I am also generally sensitive to chemical presences and find bathing water (especially hot) unpleasant/head-dizzying, presumably from chlorine or other byproducts of chlorine. (The water comes out whitish, though the symptoms could be from something else.)
Why do you think I am feeling ill from the tap/tap & PUR mineral filter's water? Is it the additional minerals?
Should I try a plain PUR filter? Would a PurPro filter fix the "ill" feeling and taste?
Any input, speculation, or other would be very much welcomed & appreciated.
[Edit: I will attempt to post links to the PUR filter & PurPro filter's analyses/specifications for easier analysis, but I'm posting from a limited interface and may be unable to. Feel free to edit in links if you can. Thank you!]
asked bySabertooth (529)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on September 12, 2013
at 09:29 PM
Well for the shower issue, what I would suggest getting is a shower filter, as in a hot shower with the steam, the chlorine changes to a gas, and turns to chloroform, a highly toxic chemical, which can cause dizziness. As for the drinking water, the water filter you are using is most likely using synthetic minerals (man-made) which cannot be absorbed by the body, so it actually fights it, and if the water is acidic, the body has to fight this as well to neutralize it to bring it to an alkaline level. If you want some good, clean, and safe water, I would suggest a reverse osmosis water purification system instead of spending the $200 on another water filter. You can easily get a reverse osmosis system for under $200. I got one from Aquasafe Systems for under $200 and these systems remove everything from the water.
on August 31, 2013
at 03:18 AM
For the bath water, add 1 gram of Vitamin C powder (or dissolve a tablet), this apparently neutralises both the chlorine and chloramine.
Sodium Ascorbate or Ascorbic Acid will work, not sure about other forms of Vit C, you may need to research a bit, you can start here, http://chriskresser.com/is-your-daily-shower-making-you-sick