1

votes

Vitamin C overdose and stool color

Answered on August 29, 2017
Created May 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Two days ago I had brilliant idea.

Before going to bed I decided to have some Vitamin C. I didn't have a spoon so I added it by eye and the amount was probably a few grams.

Half an hour later, I couldn't stand, I couldn't sit, I couldn't lie down. My stomach was killing me. I was making trips from my bed to the toilet although I just sat there, maybe an inch of stool was released on every visit.

Two days after, my stools still have an amber/orange color. Any ideas ?

15d23403fb836f2b506f4f3ad2c03356

(1219)

on May 26, 2010
at 11:10 PM

Ok, sorry, misunderstood your comment.

4b97e3bb2ee4a9588783f5d56d687da1

(22913)

on May 26, 2010
at 10:40 PM

Learn to read, or maybe I should be less lazy in answering don't drink more Vitamin C, drink water to lessen the effects of the overdose

15d23403fb836f2b506f4f3ad2c03356

(1219)

on May 26, 2010
at 09:52 PM

Just because something is water soluble does NOT mean it is ok to consume in large doses.

  • 84666a86108dee8d11cbbc85b6382083

    asked by

    (2399)
  • Views
    16.8K
  • Last Activity
    322D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

7 Answers

1
15d23403fb836f2b506f4f3ad2c03356

(1219)

on May 26, 2010
at 08:35 PM

Although I haven't seen it written anywhere (and I've looked), in my experience antioxidants can change stool color orange. Poo turns brown (from orange) in the first place due to the oxidation of urobilinogen in the colon, so it does make sense that antioxidants could alter that process. Probiotics also do this to me too - and they too have robust antioxidant capabilities.

Also if your system isn't overloaded with polyunsaturated fat, which oxidize easily, you may be more prone to the effects of antioxidants.

Whatever the cause, orange poo isn't serious at all, unless it is accompanied with abnormally colored pee... :)

0
D27306e4f46f43fcd5a39f8805dce5fe

on August 29, 2017
at 11:57 AM

Overdose on C? Comical. An average person can take 15000 miligrams with no ill effect so you would have to have taken a lot more than you had on hand.... and still could not overdose.  Some cancer treatments start at a low 50 GRAMS in a 2 hour treatment.  High dosing of C is determined by the runs, cleary not your symptom.  

None the less you THOUGHT you had "overdosed" and were scared so by all means the smart (not) thing to do is go to the web and write to random strangers on a forum and wait days, months, years for responses. PRICELESS

If you have not done it by now you should probably post the poison control number by your phone 800-222-1222 they also have a website and an app. 

By the way, high doses of C makes poop green.

0
84666a86108dee8d11cbbc85b6382083

(2399)

on May 29, 2010
at 10:21 AM

Back in black ;)

0
2864dd8ad97ea5370dd6b23d49caddcb

(128)

on May 27, 2010
at 01:25 PM

It should clear up in a day or so. Don't worry too much about it. Lots of water!

I have to say at I LOVE all the over-shares on this forum!

0
1340fe0b7e7b01683ea33042092e05d6

on May 26, 2010
at 06:44 PM

Agreed on the intake of water. This is completely normal with an overdose of Vitamin C. Doesn't clear up in a day or so, check in with Doc.

-1
5e463dab6d117559e5d3ddc3e8a16504

on August 13, 2010
at 05:58 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc ipsum justo, suscipit eu sodales et, egestas quis enim. Nunc rhoncus lectus id diam tincidunt accumsan. Quisque egestas suscipit eros, non accumsan ante euismod mattis. Mauris ullamcorper egestas vestibulum. Phasellus non nisl arcu. Sed vel orci ipsum. Cras fermentum vestibulum leo, quis consequat turpis ultricies vitae. Quisque hendrerit mattis tempus. Quisque id magna mauris. Ut id enim leo, vitae suscipit tortor. Suspendisse imperdiet feugiat interdum. Vestibulum pulvinar luctus lobortis. Fusce fringilla libero quis tortor condimentum accumsan. Curabitur viverra, orci non tempor cursus, eros tortor mattis diam, et dapibus urna magna nec arcu. Duis eleifend interdum turpis, et rhoncus tellus volutpat eget. Mauris vitae metus lectus, vel gravida dolor. Nullam facilisis mollis ipsum a hendrerit. Etiam sollicitudin sollicitudin ligula, a semper lorem ullamcorper a. Nunc orci leo, porttitor vel cursus a, vestibulum eu metus.

-1
4b97e3bb2ee4a9588783f5d56d687da1

on May 26, 2010
at 06:14 PM

Water soluble, drink up

edit: to clarify, Drink lots of water to speed your flush

4b97e3bb2ee4a9588783f5d56d687da1

(22913)

on May 26, 2010
at 10:40 PM

Learn to read, or maybe I should be less lazy in answering don't drink more Vitamin C, drink water to lessen the effects of the overdose

15d23403fb836f2b506f4f3ad2c03356

(1219)

on May 26, 2010
at 11:10 PM

Ok, sorry, misunderstood your comment.

15d23403fb836f2b506f4f3ad2c03356

(1219)

on May 26, 2010
at 09:52 PM

Just because something is water soluble does NOT mean it is ok to consume in large doses.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!