Has anyone read the following in the Huffington Post regarding Vibram paying out $3.75 million?
Just wondering what peoples thoughts/opinions were. I absolutely love mine and wont be changing them, however the lawsuit looks pretty compelling....
asked byNinds (323)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on May 21, 2014
at 11:19 AM
Marks Daily Apple Response: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vibram-fivefingers-lawsuit
"To win the case (or get the company to settle), the plaintiff doesn’t even have to prove that these claims are false and that the opposite is true (the shoes cause damage). They just have to prove that the claims are not supported by the available evidence. And for the most part, that’s true. They aren’t."
on May 20, 2014
at 02:10 AM
i've had a lot of foot problems from using them- stress fracture and achilles tendonitis. i emailed the company about this after i saw the lawsuit. still haven't heard from them. i doubt they will actually pay up.
on May 19, 2014
at 06:22 PM
Slightly OT, but Vibram doesn't seem to make toe shoes my size, while Fila does. Recently it seems I can't find Skeletoes anymore, any idea if they discontinued them, and if there's other brands out there?
on May 19, 2014
at 05:17 PM
I dig barefoot. I've made the transition to 100% time spent in the zero-drop position with just a few millimeters between my feet and the road. My legs / feet have never been stronger, and I've never had such individual control over my toes. I've been told that my walking gait suddenly flows like a martial artist and my posture looks more confident.
The issue is probably that for most people, where only ~30% of the population is self-reported to be at a normal weight, where the rest of the 70% is overweight / obese / severely obese (and the percentage is likely higher as people tend to over-estimate their height and under-estimate their weight), going barefoot and suddenly stressing out your feet / legs after a lifetime of foot protection won't be ideal.
I would think that each of those 5 points they're being sued against should be pretty obvious to anyone wearing the shoes just for a day or two. (1. To use shoes requires muscles, with more muscles being used in the flexible barefoot position than a fixed rigid cast, and using muscles obviously builds strength, where you might feel initial muscle soreness as they strengthen. 2. A minimalist shoe without a heel-toe drop, constructed with a flexible material will obviously develop a greater range of motion than a shoe with a drop constructed with a rigid material, where you might feel initial tightness as the ligaments / tendons are stretched. 3-5. To walk correctly with a thin-soled shoe and avoid soreness, you'll have to learn to move your toes and use your whole foot (~20 muscles), and this obviously stimulates neural function toward an adaptive natural movement with greater ground-feel as compared with a conventional shoe which forces your foot into an odd raised heel position surrounded by cushions and encased in a hard rubber cage.)