I have some amalgam fillings still in my mouth and have been considering having them removed, since reading about them being a possible cause for tinnitus and other health problems. I had two removed in the past, and I don't think the dentist was very careful (but I don't remember very well).
The thing is, there is a LOT of controversy about the dangers of mercury in amalgam, but I'm a bit skeptical about what dentists say, especially when they all seem to just copy the same text from each other about how safe amalgam is.
The fact that it has been forbidden in certain countries, but that they aren't willing to pay for the (safe) removal of those that are already in people's mouths makes me more confused.
My questions are:
What's the TRUTH about amalgam fillings? Are they safe or not?
How paranoid should I be about removing them? Is it really more dangerous than letting them stay where they are?
How healthy is this procedure at the dentist that I'm considering going to:
- air (I assume some type of ventilation)
- charcoal (I assume tablets for chelation)
- dental dam (some rubber to protect the mouth) and suction
- EDTA in rinse water (doesn't EDTA cause mental confusion in rats? I know it's in every soap and shampoo, but I wouldn't drink them)
Also, would it be wise to have more than one removed at once?
Do you know what causes tinnitus and if paleo helps with it?
Thanks for any help.
asked byPedrita (467)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on March 19, 2012
at 08:50 PM
Been covered here before, use search.
There's conflicting research showing any effect from amalgam fillings, and I haven't seen any convincing research showing ill effects from amalgam fillings.
Most of the claims about amalgam boils down to bro science. The references proposing to get rid of amalgam fillings here and elsewhere are either trying to sell you a book or a service, or are of dubious reliability ("holistic" medicine, really?), so I would take such advise with a huge grain of salt.
Even if there was some truth the amalgam fillings, and that there actually was a safe way to have them removed (I'm not convinced there is), there's no guarantee the alternative is better and safer. Just look at what endocrine-active substances like BPA do to your hormones - having plastic in your mouth 24/7 might be just as disruptive as the worst-case scenario with amalgams.
FWIW I have four huge amalgam fillings, and decided to keep them after extensive research.
on November 10, 2012
at 11:56 PM
Before rushing into having your amalgam fillings removed and replaced with "safe" composite resin fillings, please understand that there is no truly non-toxic filling material. Composites can contain BPA as well as formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. If you do choose to have amalgams removed, it is vital that it be done with a rubber dam to reduce swallowing mercury particles and vapor while the fillings are being drilled out. You will actually be exposed to much higher mercury levels during removal than if you simply leave them alone.
I take that stance that our bodies have numerous highly developed filtration systems and can deal with the minute amounts of mercury exposure from dental fillings, or any other toxins we are exposed to in small amounts, especially those bodies that are working at utmost efficiency due to a nutrient-dense Paleo diet.
I discussed this topic a bit more here, including a nutrient that just may protect you from mercury exposure: http://thepaleohygienist.com/2012/10/03/amalgam-fillings-mercury-concerns-is-a-key-nutrient-the-answer/
And as for the tinnitus, this can often be due to vitamin deficiencies. Look into B12, D, E and Zinc deficiencies and see if it helps. :)
on April 23, 2012
at 02:28 PM
I think the question is legitimate given the noise surrounding this issue however some of the responses here make me feel like I'm reading CureZone or something... Science be damned, a guy somewhere has a video of a smoking tooth!
on March 17, 2012
at 10:57 PM
Was just at a holistic medical conference and they showed this video on the dangers of mercury. http://commons.ucalgary.ca/mercury/ So yes, have them taken out but make sure the dentist will give you your own air supply (else you just breathe the toxins into your brain) and also a dental dam.
on May 07, 2012
at 03:46 AM
Do you really want one of the most toxic substances on the planet 2 inches from your brain?
I had my mercury fillings removed. I used to have bouts of really unpleasant brain fog. After getting rid of those "silver" fillings I chelated myself with DMSA and ALA and cleared the brain fog permanently. Was it the fillings that were causing the brain fog? I don't know but I'm glad to have them out.
on March 19, 2012
at 07:43 PM
Check out onibasu.com andy cutler.He knows his stuff.Get them out correctly, and chelate at low dose.
on March 19, 2012
at 06:46 PM
You should definitely have your fillings removed! Most Dentists are too ignorant to admit that mercury is dangerous or are afraid to admit it because they have been using it for years. That's good your Dentist is taking all of the right precautions... rubber dam, air, charcoal... also ask about ionizing filters and make sure they use cold water while drilling the mercury since it vaporizes at room temperature. A great site I found was www.ToxicMercuryAmalgam.com.
As far as getting your mercury levels tested... There's a huge problem with this test! If the test shows you have low levels of mercury it could mean 1) you actually have low levels of mercury or 2) your body isn't excreting mercury properly and is being stored in your organs (such as your brain or liver)
There is a urine test that actually looks at the proteins in your urine and they have found a specific protein that tends to be high in mercury toxic patients.
I hope this helps! Good luck to you!
on April 19, 2013
at 06:54 PM
Why isn't the EPA involved?
on April 23, 2012
at 04:58 PM
click on the video of smoking tooth.
this organization is a group of dentists taking a stand against mercury, rebelling against the standard in their own profession.
your right, there's certainly a lot of controversy surrounding this topic. however, as you mentioned it is banned in many countries and certain bio-hazard procedures must be followed when working with mercury such as disposal etc. I've been concerned about this topic for more than a decade. When I was sixteen a dentist coerced me into having amalgam fillings despite my hesitation. The truth is, we cannot really trust what anyone really tells us. we do know that this material cannot be put down the drain or thrown in regular trash, what makes us think its safe to have in our heads?
I like the idea of a precautionary principle; assuming something is suspicious of harm until proven safe.