1

votes

Anyone react to Morton's Lite Salt?? (1/2 potassium chloride, 1/2 salt)

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created June 05, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I'm in the home stretch of narrowing down headache/eye-hurting reaction, and I don't think it likely caused by the Morton's Lite Salt, but just figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Mike

alt text

5e92edc5a180787a60a252a8232006e9

(345)

on June 19, 2012
at 04:27 PM

What brand are you supplementing and how much? Does your blood test show actual potassium deficiency?

7fc82eebafd44badc73c520f44660150

(3275)

on June 05, 2012
at 02:12 PM

Thanks Abbie, I love Real Salt. I'll be posting a separate question about this but I think what happened is that in my efforts to up my potassium, I ended up consuming lots of high potassium foods which also are high in histamines. The clue for me was sudden sneezing fits which lasted for over 5 minutes. That, and my eyes getting bloodshot. I think the potassium salt was a correlation, not a causation, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Ddfdaa75ac9f47e01fc71162dd0d38dc

on June 05, 2012
at 12:41 PM

Nope. My guy is salt sensitive so we use it every day because Cardia's too expensive.

Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

6 Answers

best answer

1
Efd28623add25421afa2884b466163c4

(163)

on September 20, 2012
at 04:58 PM

Potassium supplementation can be tricky because typical potassium salts (which THESE Albion-based tablets are NOT) can be caustic to stomach and intestinal linings as they dissolve. This is the reason why the government sets a 99mg limit on the amount of potassium a tablet may contain. You must also be sure that your kidneys are functioning normally and are able to regulate your blood's potassium level since excessive serum potassium (hyperkalemia) is not something you want to induce. This Albion Potassium Glycinate complex (which is not a full chelate, since Potassium cannot be fully chelated) offers the safest and most absorbable solution for supplementing a diet's existing Potassium. Eating Potassium-rich food (and avoiding Sodium) is the best solution, but if additional Potassium is required, this is the best solution.

CopyPasta

1
270aa8629304fefa4911d53ef42568d3

(148)

on June 05, 2012
at 01:15 PM

Have you tried Redmond's Real Salt? Since table salt of the Morton's variety is stripped of all the trace minerals that usually come with salt - perhaps your body would respond more gracefully if the source of sodium you used came along with them.

7fc82eebafd44badc73c520f44660150

(3275)

on June 05, 2012
at 02:12 PM

Thanks Abbie, I love Real Salt. I'll be posting a separate question about this but I think what happened is that in my efforts to up my potassium, I ended up consuming lots of high potassium foods which also are high in histamines. The clue for me was sudden sneezing fits which lasted for over 5 minutes. That, and my eyes getting bloodshot. I think the potassium salt was a correlation, not a causation, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

0
7c9f81d68c78de1a31eab9c91c17b4b8

on October 04, 2012
at 06:50 PM

Hmmm...I will have to research after reading others responses but I want to add that I use Morton's Lite FOR headaches in some broth. It takes it away immediately.

0
3ce6a0d24be025e2f2af534545bdd1d7

(26217)

on October 04, 2012
at 06:25 PM

I react -- out of shock that people are using that crap. Stick to unprocessed salt and sea salts in their natural form.

0
05de181d71c1df6304a03566fe821d4b

on September 20, 2012
at 01:33 PM

Morton salt.. bad, go for himalayan crystal salt, imo better than sea salt (you know how clean our seas are...) Regular table salt is 98% NaCl the other 2% bad for your body, nasty fillers and anti caking agents, ohh and there is some NaIO3 (sodium iodate) or NaI (iodine) I forget

0
7f8bc7ce5c34aae50408d31812c839b0

(2698)

on June 05, 2012
at 02:51 PM

I don't know how much of this he was using so I don't know if this applies but I supplement with potassium chloride becasue I don't seem to get enough potassium from diet. Sometimes I find that I simply get a little dehydrated from the intake of so much mineral so fast and get a bit of a headache. Maybe just more water when using the lite salt?

Potassium could be dangerous in too high a quantity if your electrolytes are off but I don't know if a symptom of that is headache.

5e92edc5a180787a60a252a8232006e9

(345)

on June 19, 2012
at 04:27 PM

What brand are you supplementing and how much? Does your blood test show actual potassium deficiency?

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!