In an effort to make my post-workout meal more variable I am looking for a list of tasty starches that are also nutritious. This would be something like sweet potatoes vs white rice (which gives starch/carbs but not much in the way of nutrients.) I eat a bunch of sweet potatoes and I like them, but I was hoping people have other ideas and/or recipes to incorporate them.
All I can come up with right now is sweet potatoes, potatoes, and squashes.
asked byjakeA (5506)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on April 05, 2011
at 07:45 PM
The Starch List Wiki (edit if you have privileges)
Easy to Find/Or Relatively Easy to Find in the US
- Sweet potato (Ipomoea)
- Yam (Dioscorea)
- Potato (Solanum tuberosum)
- Cassava/Yucca (Manihot)
- Sago Palm (Metroxylon sagu)
- Cocoyam/Malanga (Xanthosoma spp.)
- Taro (Colocasia esculenta)
- Arrowroot (Maranta arundinacea)
Interesting, but Marginal
- Oca (Oxalis tuberosa)
- Mashua (Mashua) *really bad for testosterone levels
- Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus)
- Sunchoke (Helianthus tuberosus)*makes some people gassy
- Camus Bulb (Camassia)
- Plectranthus rotundifolius
- Konjac (Amorphophallus konjac)
- Psoralea esculenta
- Pignut (Conopodium majus)
- Polynesian Arrowroot (Tacca leontopetaloides )
- Arracacia xanthorriza
on April 06, 2011
at 02:05 PM
If you can find Asian grocers, they usually have a wider range of interesting starches, like purple taro, white taro, different types of yam, sweet potato, squash etc. I occasionally steam or mash my sweet potatoes with coconut oil, or I make a 'sweet soup' with coconut milk and diced cooked sweet potatoes. It's more of a dessert really.