I have a long story and I will try to tell it short:
I was 6 months 100% paleo maniac, transformed myself from flabby chubby girl (5 ft 7 tall, 148 pounds to 138 pounds with 4 pack, brazil ass, skinny legs and arms and remained my boobs eating all that fat) I became the sexiest ever in my life. I am not sure if it was the orgasm-like feeling eating that pork chops with green salad, brazil nuts and bananas with natural cacao, followed with an strng espresso and some squats and intervals in the morning that gave me THE FEELING of confidence. I wanted more. I developed new projects and motivated all the people around me with my hustle attitude and my struggle for more. I met the love of my life. I walked and the men watced. I was Paleo :)
But! I slipped off. I had some hard time, life gets hard sometimes unexpectedly and paleo helped me in the beginning to handle my depression and all. But it was stronger than me and I needed something else, I wanted new foods, new home, new work, needed to take control of my life again. I was so powerful, I was 6 months paleo, so every problem seemed like a challenge. So in "food matters" I added brown rice, potatoes, oats, bread and eventually all kind of grains and carbs. And this is the time I became really sick, bloated, moody, not motivated, just.... hungry and addicted to food.
I promise, this is the last part of the story if you are still reading! :) This "trial" lasted 5 months. I told myself : ok, turn back to baleo, then turn back to carbs and so on and so on. I dont know what I expected from the carbs, I just wanted to see if they are that bad and wanted to explore their effects on me. So : the results :
I still get madly hungry after oatmeal for breakfast. My heart beats like on the first date with the most amazing man of my life. After eating bread my motivation flies away. I feel ordinary. Just like everyone else on the street. It may sound egoistic and self-centered and who knows how, but the reason I loved paleo so much was ALSO the fact that I felt I make smething special to my body, that I have the discipline to do something that is "hard" for most people and that gave me a feeling of control over my own life. The physical effects are also visible : bloat, no abs, etc etc
SO: I wanted to ask you, guys, did you experience some mental/emotional transformation while on paleo? Do you use the diet also as a way to be the best version of yourself in every other field of your life? Like a disease? (but a good one) :)
Today I just came to the conclusion that after 1 year of abusing my body with paleo-non paleo that I just don't tolerate bread and grains. I thought that I am some kind of mad or just brainwashed but now I just believe it : better eat 100% clean and have the cleanest mind even when life gets hard.
I would love to read some positive stories of you :)
asked bymelladell (0)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on January 06, 2014
at 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Paleo alone isn't enough to make you confident, but I do know Paleo turns many people into arrogant, psuedo-biochemist pricks. I can see how some might misconstrue this for confidence.
on January 06, 2014
at 09:31 PM
Yes, my whole world changed when I went Paleo:
- Brain fog lifted. Things looked more real, and I was more focused. I was more ready to live. I felt that I cured my fear of heights, I wanted to do bungie jumping, and walk all around South America etc. All that from someone who almost hadn't left the house in 10 years prior.
- I had ADD since age 12 (when my family moved away from the mountains and into the town, where we had to buy our less-fermented bread, and had lesser access to fresh veggies and pastured meats). Within a month of going Paleo, I was able to read a book again properly, without my mind flying away every 20 seconds.
- No depression anymore (I had situational depression because of my IBS-D, which cleared up with Paleo).
- During my time with Paleo-ketogenic in particular (40-50 gr of net carbs per day, lasted about 2-3 months or so), I experienced "bliss". It's known by doctors as "ketosis euphoria". I detailed this here http://eugenia.queru.com/2012/03/07/bliss/ I haven't experienced this feeling again since I started eating more than 100 gr of net carbs per day (although I'm still Paleo technically).
- About 2 months after going Paleo, I started having artistic imagery popping up into my head out of nowhere all the time. This is known among visual artists to happen in times of high inspiration. So at my 39 years old, I changed my life, and I became an artist. Within 6 months I was already a published artist. Imagery stopped when started eating more carbs too.