How would one go about fixing hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism naturally? Have any of you done it? Does the paleo diet balance the thyroid overtime?
asked bySoul (1423)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on May 10, 2012
at 04:13 PM
Paleo helps a Woman Get Off Thyroid Medication! http://robbwolf.com/2012/06/04/11360/
There are people with receptor and other problems of the thyroid that have NORMAL TSH but borderline or abnormal one or more of the following tests so you must have these checked:
Total T4 (TT4) AND Free T4 (FT4)
Resin T3 Uptake (T3U/T7/T3RU) AND Free T3 (FT3)
Reverse T3 (rT3)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb) AND Thryoglobulin Antibodies (TGB Ab)
Thyroid-Stimulating Immunoglobins (TSI) AND TSH stimulating Antibodies (TSAb)
If you have negative to all the thyroid antibodies hen I would supplement with iodine and selenium. You can do 150 mcg (micrograms) of selenium daily but iodine slowly increase. For example week 1 take daily 150 mcg (micrograms) of kelp (iodine), week 2 take 300 mcg daily, week 3 take daily 450 mcg, week 4 take daily 600 mcg. Most people without any antibodies to thyroid function (no sign of Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid) will do well with 600 mcg to 1 gram (1000 micrograms) of kelp a day.
You should work with a functional/holistic practitioner who supports Paleo and can track and order the bloodwork/hormone panels. Do not try to do this yourself. You need help, but understand the science behind it.
Also read 2 books:
Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS, MNeuroSci, FAACP, DACBN, DABCN, DIBAK, CNS - chiropractic doctor
Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it by Dr. David Brownstein, MD
Chris Kresser, a licensed acupuncturist, (also Paleo) has written a lot on thyroid/iodine, among many other topics on blogposts. He works with clients in his office and through Skype/phone.
I have to believe iodine and selenium is fairly important especially if consuming goitrogens and fermented vegetables. My husband and I were consuming about 1-2 pounds of COOKED goitrogenic vegetables per day with no supplemental iodine or selenium. We were using sea salt which doesn't have much iodine. We started to develop symptoms like fatigue, feeling cold, cold hands etc. These symptoms happened in both low carb and higher carb contexts, although higher carbohydrate may mask thyroid symptoms - this was mentioned multiple times at Paleo FX in Austin.
Within days of slow adding kelp supplementation (building from 150 mcg to currently 600 mcg over a month) and 150-200 mcg of selenium daily we notice a big difference in energy and not feeling cold. We have also limited our goitrogens by eliminating fermented vegetables since we do fine with raw dairy for probiotics.
We thought cooking and eating lots of saturated fat would take care of the goitrogens, but apparently that wasn't enough for us. So I compiled this list to help those trying to limit goitrogens or have had a similar experience.
Non-Goitrogenic Produce Avocado - improves thyroid function
Berries (except strawberries), Cherries, Citrus (lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc.), Melons
Apricots, Dragonfruit, Starfruit, Grapes, Guava, Kiwi, Lychee, Mango, Apple, Pineapple, Pomegranate
Nightshades - Peppers (sweet/bell and hot), Eggplant, Tomatoes, Potatoes
Squashes - Cabeza, Zuccinni, Yellow, Butternut, Pumpkin, Bittermelon (Corolla) technically fruit
Peas, Green Beans, Carrots
Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber
Herbs - Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Parsley, Cilantro, Parsley
Onions, Leeks, garlic, shallots, chives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen Goitrogens are substances that suppress the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e., a goitre.
Fermented Vegetables in brine (salt water) NOT vinegar have high Goitrogens since the bacteria convert more to that form as in Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickle, etc. Certain raw foods (cooking inactivates some of the goitrogens, except in the cases of soy and millet) have been identified as goitrogenic. These goitrogenic foods include:
Cassava (Tapioca), Sweet Potatoes, Rutabagas, Radishes (inc. Daikon), Turnips
Soybeans (and soybean products such as tofu, soybean oil, soy flour, soy lecithin) (High)
Pine nuts, Peanuts, Flaxseeds, Lima Beans
Strawberries, Pears, Peaches (low)
Vegetables in the genus Brassica (cruciferous)
Bok choy, Choy sum, Mizuna Tatsoi,
Broccoli, Broccolini, Broccoflower, Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli), Rapini, Cauliflower
Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Chinese cabbage
Canola (Rapeseed), Yu Choy,
Collard greens, Mustard Greens, Kale
Despite being generally a stimulant, caffeine (examples: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate) acts on thyroid function as a suppressant. Indeed some studies on rats suggest that excess caffeine in conjunction with a lack of iodine may promote the formation of thyroid cancers.
Masterjohn recommends no more then 5 servings of goitrogens/week and Kresser no more then 3-6 servings/week for anyone with thyroid issues. Paul Jaminet, Chris Masterjohn, and Chris Kresser have written well on this.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/bearers-of-the-cross Fermentation makes soy goitrogens worse! http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2010/10/fermentation-does-not-neutrailize.html
on April 25, 2012
at 12:42 PM
I don't believe that you can heal a thyroid, which has been destroyed by antibodies.
For natural thyroid support you can make sure that you have enough:
iodine, selenium, tyrosine
and a healthy liver and gut, where a lot of the T4-T3 conversion take place, plus healthy adrenals which you need to make use of thyroid "energy"
on September 08, 2015
at 08:35 AM
Typically a state of hypothyroidism afflictions are taken care of pharmaceutical’s including Synthroid, that will own harming adverse effects for your health and energy levels. The favorable reports can there be tend to be completely natural treatment options which will assist promote hypothyroidism ! Therefore results in letting have a chat about the ultimate activities you Should do tends solution of personal hypothyroidism permanently.
1. Proceed Gluten as well as A1 Casein Costless – most typical hypersensitivity as well as snacks intolerances right now goes from grain in addition to butter due to hybridized essential proteins related to gluten and a1 casein. Majority of these essential proteins might lead to “Leaky Gut” and this action can result in swelling of the hypothyroidism as well as outcome and it’s . Utilize grain-free food regimen or not less than move gluten free. After which take butter which are extracted from A2 cows, goat whole milk, or sheep dairy products.
2. No more Bisphenol – It's discovered during polymer containers which can mess up personal hormonal system as well as impression each of your hypothyroidism states. My preference is just about consuming away from wineglass, chromium steel, or BPA free polymer containers.
3. Look at your Iodine Stages – Wheather poor try using an alga or natural and organic drink iodine addition.
4. Rock Cleansing – My preference is utilizing a mixing of Milk Thistle, Kratom powder, Chlorella, and Cilantro to detoxify majority of these unsafe metals out of your panels as well as system.
5. Extra Selenium – Ensure you’re acquiring sufficient selenium in your eating plan and also don’t exaggerate. Most of the selenium having ingredients brazil wild, seafood, sunflower kernels, beaf meat, shallots and yellow & red onions.
6. Adaptogen Nutritional supplements – Have the ability to decrease cortisol stages boosting the hypothyroidism function of much like Ashwagandha as well as Tulsi.
7. Silver Toppings Elimination – in case you have mixture toppings presentation utilizing a DAMS mercury risk-free dental doctor with regard to appropriate elimination.
8. Decrease Carbs Usage – Drop your consuming healthy sugars as well as kefir grains and certainly substitute all of these wholesome fat cells. Most girls especially take in several carbohydrates which actually boost estrogen as well as oppositively outcome the gland within the human body. As an alternative take wholesome excessive fats which will stabilize human hormones, for example: edible coconut lube, coconut whole milk, grass-fed beaf, wild seafood, chia seed, flaxseeds, and cannabis kernels.
A proven scientific research diet & treatment that eliminates your hypothyroidism at the source !
planbeforedo dot com