1

votes

kirkland brand organic beef

Answered on September 12, 2014
Created January 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Is kirkland brand organic beef grass fed and without pesticides?

E7e7e1c856d4494d4a1b700b6869df90

(982)

on May 19, 2012
at 01:59 PM

Ground beef will come from many many cattle and not just one animal. What the label means is that 80% of the cattle in the mix are organic. The remaining 20% are not.

E7e7e1c856d4494d4a1b700b6869df90

(982)

on May 19, 2012
at 01:57 PM

is it extra lean, lean, medium or regular, ground beef..each will have different fat levels.

65bf1ca7071028018c6d8305d0ddcd76

(3049)

on March 24, 2012
at 08:49 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

D5d982a898721d3392c85f951d0bf0aa

(2417)

on January 30, 2012
at 04:32 PM

If you go to the website, it says grain finished.

  • Ce8cb80f1c9c8ce9e8d76722a94ac401

    asked by

    (5)
  • Views
    47.1K
  • Last Activity
    1259D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

16 Answers

3
37c83b0e565455eccdab474a7572552a

on January 30, 2012
at 02:20 AM

Is the company you contacted Kirkland - or is it just repackaged as Kirkland?

Matthew

Edit: It looks like it comes from this company, and their site says pastured and then grain-finished: http://www.dakotabeefcompany.com/about-our-organic-beef

3
C16aed2d83525d4d1d560fa67b579702

on January 21, 2012
at 06:28 PM

I highly doubt it... from what I've seen at Costco it appears to be grain fed, organic beef.

2
8c867f4f5f8e005f92becf4432b4af6a

on March 24, 2012
at 08:12 PM

Costco used to carry 3 packs of Organic Ranchers Ground Beef which came from Dakota Organic Beef & suppose to be grass-fed.

However, they have now changed to a generic 3-pack Kirkland brand organic ground beef. The packaging does not say what farm it came from...so I am not sure if it's grass fed anymore. =(

1
Afcc87a5cd121e04bc3ef02a6128c511

on February 24, 2013
at 09:58 PM

I too was concerned about this beef whether it was organic grass-fed, or organic grain-fed. I found the answer in the May 2012 issue of Costco magazine. Here is what it says:

"It is difficult for Costco to source all of the organic beef needed for the Kirkland Signature ground beef program exclusively from U.S. suppliers, so organic beef is also procured from Canada and Australia. ???All three countries have proven to be a great source of organic beef for this program,??? says Bob. The Australian cattle raised for the program are 100 percent organic grass-fed. Approximately half of the U.S. and Canadian animals are grass-fed; the other half is finished on organic grains such as barley, flax, wheat and corn."

My interpretation would thus be that greater than or equal to 50% of the beef is grass-fed. However, on the plus side the grain feed being organic puts my mind at ease. I will one day purchase some expensive pure grass-fed beef and compare it side-by-side to Costco's organic and see if there is any difference. Hope this helps.

1
756b24d39c3ad3cdb55ca7b66ede4269

on January 30, 2012
at 02:15 AM

I contacted the company that makes it and they claim 100% grass fed. Seems strange they don't put it on the label though.

D5d982a898721d3392c85f951d0bf0aa

(2417)

on January 30, 2012
at 04:32 PM

If you go to the website, it says grain finished.

65bf1ca7071028018c6d8305d0ddcd76

(3049)

on March 24, 2012
at 08:49 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

1
5e6a6f5c0fd3ab048f81c0a500206f41

on January 21, 2012
at 06:35 PM

i don't think its grass-fed. but in order to be organic, it has to be grown without the aid of pesticides. according to wikipedia "Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives."

not sure if this means it could still contain antibiotics though.

0
399da8c77649d19a02df87d5ecf52b91

on January 17, 2013
at 06:27 AM

Does anyone know where to get grass fed Pork, lamb, beef, chicken. I mean 100 percent grass fed with no corn and no hormones or additives. Please , I dont care what it cost or where I have to get it please help me find it. Thanks a million

0
Ee6932fe54ad68039a8d5f7a8caa0468

(2668)

on December 21, 2012
at 02:13 AM

it's not grassfed. they wouldn't just throw that in as an unlisted bonus...

0
93eea7754e6e94b6085dbabbb48c0bb7

on December 21, 2012
at 02:03 AM

If it doesn't say it, I don't believe it. Grass-fed is something companies make a huge deal about and wouldn't avoid putting it on their label.

0
13fe2978d493387a85203753cad1575a

on December 21, 2012
at 01:52 AM

My husband got violently ill after eating this stuff just like he does if he eats wild cariboo, elk, deer, etc. So just does go into this "organic beef"? Is Kangaroo considered beef in Australia? The texture is very suspicious. It's like it's been through the meat grinder a dozen time and then fluffed up. Won't be buying more of that "beef?".

0
68294383ced9a0eafc16133aa80d1905

(5795)

on May 20, 2012
at 07:26 PM

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201205#pg107

"The Australian cattle raised for the program are 100 percent organic grass-fed. Approximately half of the US and Canadian animals are grass-fed; the other half is finished on organic grains such as barley, flax, wheat and corn."

Depends which "area" each specific mix is from. Ultimately, it's impossible to tell if it isn't labeled and their suppliers are from 3 different countries. Like it states, the Australian beef is 100% grass-fed and finished, while the US and Canada beef is a mix of about 50% grass-fed/finished and 50% grass-fed/grain-finished.

Like others have said, much better than the alternative but definitely not as pure as other sources.

0
596e8bfdbad43c5c8ac69a4706beda3a

on May 20, 2012
at 04:07 PM

If the USDA Organic logo is displayed it must be at least 95% organic ingredients.

0
D1e87a168c8769a124041b6304bbf391

on May 19, 2012
at 12:14 PM

I believe 100% organic has to be 100%, but when the label says organic then it has to be only 85%. There are also other labels that say made with organic ingredients and it is required o be far less . I was just reading an article about this on the Dr. mercola site.Many companies pay alot of money f make it so confusing and misleading.

0
0f81552384aedeb647f958decc147539

on April 08, 2012
at 04:03 PM

kirkland organic beef pattie the textrue is strange the flavor is off and its high in oil or grease. What I am trying to find out, the package says 80% organic beef the balance is fat or oil, I need to know what kind of oil or fat.

E7e7e1c856d4494d4a1b700b6869df90

(982)

on May 19, 2012
at 01:57 PM

is it extra lean, lean, medium or regular, ground beef..each will have different fat levels.

E7e7e1c856d4494d4a1b700b6869df90

(982)

on May 19, 2012
at 01:59 PM

Ground beef will come from many many cattle and not just one animal. What the label means is that 80% of the cattle in the mix are organic. The remaining 20% are not.

0
0d0842381492a41b2173a04014aae810

(4875)

on January 30, 2012
at 03:26 AM

I really doubt this stuff is grass fed; the texture is different from any local grass fed I get around here. If it is pastured, they're processing it... somehow.

Here the Kirkland stuff is sold in a three pack: $17.99 + tax for 4lbs - which comes out to 4.50+ / lb. You should be able to find decent grass fed ground beef for somewhere around $4 - 6, unless you're living somewhere remote. I don't think this is worth it, and the texture makes me wonder about it.

0
De267f213b375efca5da07890e5efc25

(3747)

on January 21, 2012
at 07:34 PM

It's likely not grass fed but is still better than conventional meat as you won't be killing probiotic bacteria in your gut or building immunity to the antibiotic. I've read that the pesticides are bad for mitochondrial health. The easiest places to find grass fed beef are at Whole Foods, local farmer's markets, or from US Wellness. If you follow Perfect Health Diet, then maybe you could get the grain fed meat but get some Omega-3 FAs to make up for it, such as Kerrygold cheese, which Costco also carries now.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!