0

votes

Thyroid hypofunction - what is a good read / intro for making an outsider interested in paleo diet ?

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created January 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Keep in mind that the person with the thyroid hypofunction is a non-paleo person, he is not a scientist and not familiar with leaky gut syndrome or any other paleo terminology.

Nonetheless, maybe there's some interesting "in a nutshell" stuff out there.

Many thanks in advance.

0242b468fe1c97997749db416c92e7ed

(4528)

on January 31, 2012
at 06:10 PM

Another good article on the diet connection: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/eating-gluten-increases-need-for-thyroid-hormones/

0242b468fe1c97997749db416c92e7ed

(4528)

on January 31, 2012
at 06:10 PM

Try Dr. K's blog for tons of concise articles. This one might be a good one to start with: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/good-thyroid-health-depends-on-good-gut-health/ I second Adam's suggestion to actually READ THE BOOK, though - it's really a gold mine of information for the hypothyroid patient.

50e94d7b6b01e6cb87889c6541adc90c

(813)

on January 31, 2012
at 05:44 PM

Hi Adam, thank you very much so far. As far as I understood (being on the autoimmune protocol myself because of MS), it's always the same game with gluten and autoimmune issues. How will someone with hypothyroidism know, that he belongs to the 90 % with autoimmune problems and not to the other 10 % with different causes for hypothyroidism? Can't you come up with something shorter than a whole book, please.

Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

2 Answers

best answer

3
956a7f525400c496fe2bb2824270cb83

on January 31, 2012
at 04:26 PM

There is a book called "Why do I still have Thyroid Symptoms when my Lab Test are Normal" by Dr. Datis Kharrazian. It is a great book geared towards Hypothyroid patients, and very easy to understand. It goes into detail about how Gluten products are dangerous for thyroid patients, especially those with autoimmune thyroid disease, which is about 90% of the patient population. Its also discusses the importance of digestion, and the dangers of chronic inflammation brought about by processed foods. Might be a good start if they already know they have a thyroid problem. You can find it on Amazon for about $10. -Adam

0242b468fe1c97997749db416c92e7ed

(4528)

on January 31, 2012
at 06:10 PM

Another good article on the diet connection: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/eating-gluten-increases-need-for-thyroid-hormones/

0242b468fe1c97997749db416c92e7ed

(4528)

on January 31, 2012
at 06:10 PM

Try Dr. K's blog for tons of concise articles. This one might be a good one to start with: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/good-thyroid-health-depends-on-good-gut-health/ I second Adam's suggestion to actually READ THE BOOK, though - it's really a gold mine of information for the hypothyroid patient.

50e94d7b6b01e6cb87889c6541adc90c

(813)

on January 31, 2012
at 05:44 PM

Hi Adam, thank you very much so far. As far as I understood (being on the autoimmune protocol myself because of MS), it's always the same game with gluten and autoimmune issues. How will someone with hypothyroidism know, that he belongs to the 90 % with autoimmune problems and not to the other 10 % with different causes for hypothyroidism? Can't you come up with something shorter than a whole book, please.

1
8508fec4bae4a580d1e1b807058fee8e

on June 05, 2012
at 12:48 AM

Paleo Helps Woman Get Off Thyroid Medication! http://robbwolf.com/2012/06/04/11360/

Also read 2 books:

Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS, MNeuroSci, FAACP, DACBN, DABCN, DIBAK, CNS - chiropractic doctor

AND

Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it by Dr. David Brownstein, MD

For more Paleo Diet hacks: Are people curing hypothyroid??? - PaleoHacks.com http://paleohacks.com/questions/106904/are-people-curing-hypothyroid#ixzz1wsKV6BzQ

I have to believe iodine and selenium is fairly important especially if consuming goitrogens and fermented vegetables. My husband and I were consuming about 1-2 pounds of COOKED goitrogenic vegetables per day with no supplemental iodine or selenium. We were using sea salt which doesn't have much iodine. We started to develop symptoms like fatigue, feeling cold, cold hands etc. These symptoms happened in both low carb and higher carb contexts, although higher carbohydrate may mask thyroid symptoms - this was mentioned multiple times at Paleo FX in Austin.

Within days of slow adding kelp supplementation (building from 150 mcg to currently 600 mcg over a month) and 150-200 mcg of selenium daily we notice a big difference in energy and not feeling cold. We have also limited our goitrogens by eliminating fermented vegetables since we do fine with raw dairy for probiotics.

We thought cooking and eating lots of saturated fat would take care of the goitrogens, but apparently that wasn't enough for us. So I compiled this list to help those trying to limit goitrogens or have had a similar experience.

Non-Goitrogenic Produce

Avocado - improves thyroid function

Banana, Plaintain

Berries (except strawberries), Cherries, Citrus (lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc.), Melons

Apricots, Dragonfruit, Starfruit, Grapes, Guava, Kiwi, Lychee, Mango, Apple, Pineapple, Pomegranate

Nightshades - Peppers (sweet/bell and hot), Eggplant, Tomatoes, Potatoes

Squashes - Cabeza, Zuccinni, Yellow, Butternut, Pumpkin, Bittermelon (Corolla) technically fruit

Peas, Green Beans, Carrots

Okra

Asparagas, Artichoke

Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber

Herbs - Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Parsley, Cilantro, Parsley

Mushrooms

Onions, Leeks, garlic, shallots, chives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen Goitrogens are substances that suppress the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e., a goitre.

Fermented Vegetables in brine (salt water) NOT vinegar have high Goitrogens since the bacteria convert more to that form as in Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickle, etc. Certain raw foods (cooking inactivates some of the goitrogens, except in the cases of soy and millet) have been identified as goitrogenic. These goitrogenic foods include:

Cassava (Tapioca), Sweet Potatoes, Rutabagas, Radishes (inc. Daikon), Turnips

Soybeans (and soybean products such as tofu, soybean oil, soy flour, soy lecithin) (High)

Pine nuts, Peanuts, Flaxseeds, Lima Beans

Millet (High)

Strawberries, Pears, Peaches (low)

Bamboo shoots

Spinach

Vegetables in the genus Brassica (cruciferous)

Bok choy, Choy sum, Mizuna Tatsoi,

Broccoli, Broccolini, Broccoflower, Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli), Rapini, Cauliflower

Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Chinese cabbage

Canola (Rapeseed), Yu Choy,

Collard greens, Mustard Greens, Kale

Horseradish

Kohlrabi

Mustard (low)

Despite being generally a stimulant, caffeine (examples: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate) acts on thyroid function as a suppressant. Indeed some studies on rats suggest that excess caffeine in conjunction with a lack of iodine may promote the formation of thyroid cancers. Masterjohn recommends no more then 5 servings of goitrogens/week and Kresser no more then 3-6 servings/week for anyone with thyroid issues.

Paul Jaminet, Chris Masterjohn, and Chris Kresser have written well on this.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/bearers-of-the-cross

Fermentation makes soy goitrogens worse! http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2010/10/fermentation-does-not-neutrailize.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ppccontent/PPCGoitrogen.pdf

For more Paleo Diet hacks: Have you had a possible iodine and/or selenium deficiency (or symptoms of it) on an ancestral diet even with cooking goitrogens? - PaleoHacks.com http://paleohacks.com/questions/111727/have-you-had-a-possible-iodine-and-or-selenium-deficiency-or-symptoms-of-it-on#ixzz1tZqqlDIu

For more Paleo Diet hacks: Hypothyroidism? - PaleoHacks.com http://paleohacks.com/questions/82040/hypothyroidism#ixzz1wsL1qMzy

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!