I'm an Osteopath & Naturopath working in London (and have been paleo for the last 7 months) and want to design a little handout for my patients of what to expect if going paleo, in the form of pros and cons. Here's my list so far, please feel free to comment and add any points that I may have missed out!
The hardest factors in going paleo:
- Sceptical friends/family/conventional healthcare providers
- Breaking the habit of a lifetime; no more bread/pasta for every meal.
- sugar cravings/withdrawal symptoms. (ie. dizziness, weakness, mood swings) Sugar is a drug, and the body therefore reacts like it would from withdrawal from any other drug.
- Designing a new shopping list/being economical
- Breakfast. No more cereal/toast.
- eating out/at friends'
planning meals (ie. Lunch for work).
- a new positivity and lust for health
- new found energy levels
- manageable hunger
- improved sleep/ reduced snoring
- reduced aches & pains
- reduced GI symptoms (heartburn, cramps, flatulence, diarrhoea)
asked byflix_cw (45)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on January 16, 2013
at 01:43 AM
balanced blood sugar,
stronger immune system,
faster recovery times
on February 13, 2013
at 07:22 PM
Pre going paleo my wife and I hardly ever cooked, now we are really enjoying it and it added a new dimension to our life as a family.
on January 30, 2013
at 05:12 PM
You may wish to add that an unknown percentage of people eating high-fat versions of pale have experienced increases in LDL cholesterol ranging from small to dramatic (I have seen reports of LDL as high as 463 on this forum.) I don't know about the legal situation vis a vis your profession in the U.K. But I would think that failure to do so could entail some legal issues.
Just a caution.
on January 16, 2013
at 01:48 AM
Not sure how to bulletize it, but a big benefit I've gotten is the ability to stop eating once I'm satiated. Before paleo, I always struggled with overeating (to the point of stomach aches) and eating/snacking when not hungry. When eating paleo, I can sense when I'm full and push my plate away (even if there is still delicious food on it).