I went to my doctor about this and he just ignored me and shrugged it off because his tests didnt show anything, so he basically accused me of being delusional. His actually quote was "unless my tests show otherwise, theres nothing wrong with you". So, i've given up talking to medical science about this issue, because their always biased and dont listen to me. I've been to several doctors about this and can't afford to go private, so that isn't an option for me.
My symptoms are as follows:
- Extreme sinusitis about twice monthly, to the point where its so bad I can't leave my house.
- Random intense depression where i often just leave my house without tellling anyone and dissapearing for hours to go for walks in the woods. Sounds odd i know, but its the only way i can get over it. I need time to think when these episodes take place.
- Random episodes of stress and confusion where i can't seem to think clearly or hold a conversation with anyone.
- Generally irritability and aggresion over minor disagreements or comments others have made. I seem unable to control/censor what i'm saying, it just comes out.
- Dry skin on hands, particuarly on knuckles.
- Inflamed/bumpy break outs, particuarly on forehead and cheeks.
- Intense cravings for carbs at night, even when i've recently eaten large satienting paleo meals. This is pretty deadly where i live because my mother isnt on the diet and just lives off pasta, cereal, bread and sweet stuff, so i'm surrounded by it constantly.
I've been experiencing these symptoms throughout my adoloscence, i am now a 20 year old male. General diet, consists of meat, veggies, fish, nuts, some fruit and some tubers. I eat beans in moderation, but avoid non-paleo foods, but often slip off when i have these hunger or depression episodes.
I don't know what to to...any ideas whats wrong with me?
asked byPrimalNick (70)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on June 19, 2016
at 03:23 PM
Did your doctor check your thyroid function? I had some of the symptoms you described at the end of the winter (dry skin and crazy itching, waking me up at night and forcing me to go to the bathroom several times a day at work; anger, depression etc.; craving for carbs) and I am pretty sure it was my thyroid going into overdrive (hyper). I couldn't get a TSH test though: I live in the UK where healthcare is rationed. Now it's better: main factors were that the bus timetables changed, so I get an extra 1/2 hour to 1 hour of sleep each morning; after several months' fight, I eventually got part of my rental deposit back and the divorce from my previous landlady is now final; my employers have (temporarily) stopped pushing for me to resign. Apart from the extended sleep time, nothing really paleo.
For your anxiety etc. I would try eating more oily fish (mackerel etc.) and maybe supplementing with fish oils. Try carbs at dinner if you have difficulty sleeping.
I wish I had some woods to walk in: there's some research which has been conducted in Japan on the healing power of forest walking, it's called Shinrin-yoku (taking in the forest atmosphere or forest bathing). Best wishes to you.
on June 15, 2016
at 03:18 PM
This might not be what you want to hear. While I love what paleo did for me over a two year period, it wasn't enough to combat my bipolar disorder. I didn't know I had bipolar disorder until recently but some of your symptoms such as irritability over minor disagreements, anxiety, and brain fog suggests that maybe that you should forget about your primary care doctor and talk it over with a psychiatrist or someone who knows mental health. I was amazed at when I started being treated with meds, it actually help regulate moods and therefore decrease the stress and tension in my body which helped with several physical symptoms. I am slso really thankful that my medication actually has no side effects too. I'm not saying that is necessarily what's wrong, but I suggest checking out that avenue.
Also, make sure you're eating enough carbs. If you're craving carbs at night, your body probably wants more and it's probably saying that for a reason!