Question about an ingredient in supplement

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created September 01, 2012 at 8:06 PM

What is vegetable glaze? Saw it in a magnesium supplement. Can't find a thing on it.



on October 02, 2012
at 02:27 PM

Generally just a food-grade wax I think.

  • Size75 avatar

    asked by

  • Views
  • Last Activity
    1429D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

2 Answers



on October 02, 2012
at 04:58 PM

Vegetable glaze is more commonly known as Shellac. Many companies are looking to replace ingredients that are unknown, or have a bad name with a new term (have you ever seen "evaporated cane juice"? Sounds like sugar to me).

Shellac is essentially a hardened form of a resin that is secreted by insects known as 'Lac Resin'. It is typically refined to remove impurities, and used as a coating for pills (since it has a slightly sweet taste) or as a hardener in things like nail polish.

Shellac is more expensive than other substances of that purpose, but is "generally recognized as safe in foods" and is approved for use in products certified organic -- which is why it is probably in your supplement.



on September 01, 2012
at 10:32 PM

I don't know the answer. There is only my guess - (if somebody else out there knows the answer, disregard this one) - it is shellac.

Here is the source (questionable): http://www.kisswebpage.com/preservatives/

Answer Question

Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!