1

votes

beef liver toxicity?

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created November 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Hello. I was wondering if it's possible to get very intoxicated after eating quite big amount of beef/calf liver? Yesterday I ate 250 grams of calf liver and soon after it I started feeling very weak, my muscles became lethargic, I was feeling very warm and I think I got temporary hypertension. I've got sick digestive system ( especially bowels ) so maybe it could contribute to this somehow, but I don't know? Thx in advance for any response.

Medium avatar

(39831)

on November 10, 2011
at 07:06 PM

Agreed; shouldn't be acutely toxic, especially in these amounts.

3846a3b61bc9051e4baebdef62e58c52

(18635)

on November 10, 2011
at 03:11 PM

But, I also don't have digestive issues.

3846a3b61bc9051e4baebdef62e58c52

(18635)

on November 10, 2011
at 03:10 PM

I've eaten a whole pound before without any noticeable ill effect...

1c7f48b2a066fb8fc5927ec31aa3e391

(175)

on November 10, 2011
at 12:23 PM

yeah, from good source, grassfed

0290bfcb8edb28664789c7654da5fc63

(70)

on November 10, 2011
at 11:50 AM

Hummm, was your liver fresh ?

  • 1c7f48b2a066fb8fc5927ec31aa3e391

    asked by

    (175)
  • Views
    2.8K
  • Last Activity
    1283D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

5 Answers

best answer

0
1da74185531d6d4c7182fb9ee417f97f

on November 10, 2011
at 02:10 PM

From only 250 grams? Maybe if you ate it every day for a few weeks!

http://www.westonaprice.org/fat-soluble-activators/vitamin-a-on-trial#toomucha

best answer

1
44348571d9bc70c02ac2975cc500f154

(5853)

on November 10, 2011
at 06:56 PM

Sounds more like food poisoning to me. Vitamin toxicity takes some time to build. I usually eat like 500-600grams of lamb liver per week with no ill effects. I actually like taste of liver more than muscle meat, so i have to restrain eating it too much. I am propably overdoing it allready.

Medium avatar

(39831)

on November 10, 2011
at 07:06 PM

Agreed; shouldn't be acutely toxic, especially in these amounts.

1
3261e9c64002f4a20aa3699d54c2dd46

on November 10, 2011
at 05:47 PM

It could perhaps be vitamin A toxicity? You can get extra sensitive to vitamin A if you are low on vitamin D

0
32f5749fa6cf7adbeb0b0b031ba82b46

(41757)

on November 10, 2011
at 06:05 PM

Or maybe it was a fluke. Flukes happen. (Not talking about the parasite.)

0
66974b2cb291799dcd661b7dec99a9e2

(11121)

on November 10, 2011
at 02:42 PM

Hmmm unusual. I eat approx 250g+ 1-2 times a week raw, I usually feel real good within half an hour, never had any issues. It is possible, even though it was from a good source it was contaminated with something through mishandling or it was something you cooked it in perhaps.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!