38 yr old male. 5'11'' 220 lbs. 23% BF.
Been tracking diet for 6 weeks now (daily averages below):
P: 29% F: 43% C: 28% Gross Cals: 2059 Net Cals: 1759 TDEE: 2100
Lifting heavy 3 x week Benchpress / Front Squats / Deadlift
Not great, but not terrible: BPress 3x225. FSquat 3x200. DLift 3x295
Also do one, maybe two support lifts (low weight, high volume) and light cardio on rest days (30 min 3X week).
- Sleep is good.
- Workout mornings (fasted) until lunch around 12:30pm (fast 15-16 hours daily on average).
- Sedentary job. Low-moderate stress.
- Drink wine mostly: 1-2 glasses/night. The occasional beer. Maybe a few more than that on weekends. Try to spend weekends out n about - walking, etc...
- 80% Paleo - No breads. No processed food. Minimal legumes. Carbs are usually from rice / sweet potatoes and the aforementioned beer.
- The first four weeks I went high protein (150-175g/day) + low carb (75-100g/day) and saw no results.
- I loosened it up a bit: kept it high fat, but lowered protein and upped carbs a bit. Mostly for convenience/ lifestyle.
- Lowered cals for adjusted TDEE.
- Also switched from low-volume heavy pyramid lifting to volume training (10x10 @ 60% 1RM)
- Lactose intolerant - no whey protein supplementation.
- Two years ago I was at my ideal: 15% BF / 200lbs. Doing Crossfit 3x/week. Active. Not having to stress about calories or exercise or any of that stuff. Just in a nice happy maintenance place.
- Then, I herniated a disc in my back - lifting too heavy and everything went south. Everything hurt - exercise was a challenge. Work was crazy and it all spiralled - drinking more, eating more. I was able to jog and do yoga after about a year. Then a career change and a move across country and before I knew it, I had gained twenty pounds in two years.
- To my surprise, I didn't lose that much strength once I was in a place where I could get to a gym and it feels good to finally get back to heavy(ish) weights.
- Now, I want to lose at least ten pounds. Getting to 200 would be great, but I'd take 210 gladly.
- This intermittent fasting + Crossfit 3x/week + Light cardio + regimen worked great for me before and I remember seeing results much quicker (lost ten pounds in 2 months) 17% - 12% bodyfat.
- Not sure I can go much lower on calories. Could maybe maintain 1500/day during the week then a refeed on the weekends - but would rather not.
- I was much lower carb before- but read (on this site) and applied my 23andMe results to this:
- I'm low-fat, not low-carb for weight loss (according to the above).
- Been patient and enjoy tracking and testing new things and routines. But after 6 weeks with no progress other than some modest strength gains - what should I adjust? Is it as simple as getting more cardio - running a bigger deficit?
- Also, I'm not doing much in the way of HIIT. Wanted to take it slow with the strength stuff and then push into more intense workouts.
Anyway - feeling frustrated and losing motivation -any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
asked byKurp (75)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on March 03, 2016
at 01:45 PM
Get a bike and start putting in as many miles a day as you can. Outdoors is better than stationary. Don't push too hard. It's not so much cardio as it is long duration relatively low intensity burn.