About a year ago I asked this question about the scientific evidence against eating a lot of fruit. Apparently there isn't any, which could mean there is no research done on this subject, or simply that eating lots of fruit is generally healthy.
Note that this does not mean that you need to eat a lot of fruit to be healthy. And please note that I'm aware that for individuals this could be different.
Evolutionary and ancestral reasoning about the same question can be useful. We know that many hunter gatherers or other ancient people ate/eat fruits. But do you know of people that eat really a lot of fruit? And how is their health? What can we learn from that?
Thanks for your thoughts.
asked byPieter_D (10299)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on September 07, 2011
at 03:03 PM
Kitavans healthfully consume 11% of their diet as fruit (roughly 39 grams of sugar, depending on the fruit). 67% also comes from sweet potato, yam and taro. If 1/3 of their tuber intake consisted of sweet potato (this is speculation), then their total sugar intake would be roughly 61 grams sugar/day, or 12% of their total calories as sugar (~30.5 grams of fructose or ~6% total calories as fructose). For context, the mean American fructose intake is 55 grams or ~9% of total calories (although some segments of society consume more, reaching 15% to 20%).
Some animals eat large amounts of fruit, including Chimps, Bonobos, and even a 'maned wolf'. I think it'd be worth looking into what are the relevant digestive and metabolic differences between them and humans. If they're similar to humans, wouldn't that imply it'd be OK for humans to consume large amounts of fruit?
on September 07, 2011
at 02:23 PM
Yea, I would say if there was anyone, it would be in the South Pacific. Here in Africa, much fruit grows, but it is generally viewed as food for children or "snack" food. Something you might eat a piece of if it presented itself to you, but you wouldn't go out of your way to find it/buy it. But I have seen people (young adult men) buy and eat an entire bunch of bananas in one sitting.