Long time reader here. I have a problem with certain foods and I've been researching and trying a lot of things, none of them helped so far. Maybe one of you can help me? :)
Background (I try to include everything that might be relevant, which is why it's so long):
Two years ago I tried (partly successful) to gain some weight so I started the 5x5 Texas Method and adjusted my food intake. I drank 400-500ml of rice milk + 50-70g of peanut/almond butter - every day. As you can imagine, I gained weight pretty fast.
I was young and stupid and mainly didn't know that it was a bad choice (I couldn't drink milk because I suspected a lactose intolerance, so I switched to rice milk, because we didn't have any almond milk around here). After stopping, I wanted to get back into training (I had an achilles tendonitis for a few months and couldn't really workout) and tried out my weight gaining formula again (this time with almond butter + rice/hazelnut/almond milk, since I found a source). My body couldn't handle it at all. I got instant diarrhea, gas and bloating.
At first I suspected an allergy (I sometimes have a slight pollen allergy so I suspected a cross contamination), so I just cut out nuts out of my diet. Then I started eating clean: lots of greens, lean meats and healthy fats (mainly avocado). After a couple of months: I got sick and my GI was completely messed. I found out that it was caused by the avocado (I didn't eat a lot, mainly a half or a whole avocado per day and not even every day). Went to the doc, (sorry for the image) got a fecal test to get tested for any kind of bacteria: nothing. Blood test didn't show anything as well. After some time I started having the exact same reactions to bananas - again doctor, this time I wanted to get tested for allergies. Doc did some sample blood work done, IgE (I'm pretty sure that's the one, I don't have the doc with me at this time) was pretty high (normally between 0-10, mine was around 100). During this time I lost all the hard earned muscle and got pretty skinny.
Went to an allergy doc, did some more tests: got tested for nuts, avocado (directly on the skin test) and milk etc. - no allergy for nuts, avocado, milk protein - all negative. Allergy doc told me histamine could be the problem - with which I wasn't happy and went to a gastroenterologist.
Got an endoscopy, came back negative as well. The gastro doc just told me I had something like IBS but in my stomach (wtf) and there wouldn't be a cure. Additionally I now have some gas in the evening and in the morning and it feels like something's off (although this part could be stress related, but I'm not sure).
- can't eat avocado, nuts, bananas, bacon, some cheese (tried on cheat days) feel weird too (result is gas + diarrhea)
- lost some weight and I have struggle gaining weight because I can't eat fatty foods (can't get a lot of calories without carbs)
- gluten isn't the problem (got tested + cut it out of my diet)
- I get gas in the evening and in the early morning (if I'm stressed out a lot, even during the night)
I suspected and tried:
- leaky gut syndrome - tried dosing between 40-80g glutamine every day for 10 days (didn't help)
- alkaline powder
- 4-5g omega 3 (pharmaceutical grade) a day, because I suspected that my omega 3: omega 6 ratio is off (I don't even know whether this is possible)
- Medicinal clay against the GI problems
- Cat's claw + peppermint oil (this is against crohn's + IBS)
- Bacteria is messed: prebiotics + probiotics (as supplements and also as greek yoghurt + sauerkraut)
- cut out gluten completely
- I tried taking digestive enzymes (myprotein and source naturals) - didn't handle it that well or didn't show any sign of improvement.
So far nothing helped or improved
I know that the losing weight part is a red sign for any kind of nasty disease and sickness but I feel it's mainly correlated to the fact that I just stopped eating a lot and in combo with the digestive issues I lost the weight.
It's so annoying because I'm eating very clean with maybe one cheat day (or 3-4 cheat meals) per week. I work out 4-5 times per week, my energy levels are good. Sex drive is high (didn't know whether this was relevant haha), mood isn't a problem either.
Any help is appreciated, sorry for the long post. If you have questions, let me know.
asked bySkinnyPete (0)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!