0

votes

How to get zinc without supplementing? And do I have to eat meat daily?

Answered on September 14, 2013
Created September 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I don't get why so many of us are deficient in Zinc? I think it's cause we need Vitamin D and such to help it function and it's a cascade of deficiencies? Cause people in undeveloped countries don't have acne, and I don't really think they have zinc defishes...I mean meat is highly available here...but what is depleting it?

I really don't like supplementing too much...cause won't a copper imbalance cause acne and then not be able to be fixed naturally? It just seems like people in undeveloped countries aren't living off shelfish...and i'm sure they eat meat once a week maybe. So what are they doing that we aren't.

Also...I am now trying to get more healthy fat that omega 6...I want my balance to be 3 to 1 of omega 3 to 6, and I know if I eat some american non grass fed meat that it most likely won't have too much fat, and that it will be some omega 6, but If I eat tuna with coconut oil and greens for 70% of my diet, I can only be doing more good than bad.

I didn't realize but FAT and GOOD FAT is ESSENTIAL to healthy clear skin. if the balance is more good than bad, than hopefully I can achieve my goals of clear skin.

I don't do dairy in any form, try to limit soy except for minute amounts in gum and vegetable broth in canned tuna...but I realized the only fat I get is a tablespoon of olive oil a day on my salads and from any meat I eat...which is just the chicken skin or whatever is in a hamburger or some ham...which can't be enough! I remember watching a documentary where african women were just eating the raw flesh and fat from animals! We need that..not dinky little lean meats and then no omega 3s or good saturated fats! No wonder i'm vitamin a defficient cause I'm saturated fat defficient.

But I was wondering if I have to eat meat once a day? It would be easier and cheaper to eat meat a few times a week? Can I do this or is it a bad idea?

43873f3cea4f22f91653b0f5ec7ab9d9

(401)

on September 14, 2013
at 06:31 PM

I see this pop up on PH from time to time... I don't get it either. If you're paleo, you're probably eating a decent amount of animal muscle meat. If anything, people are probably deficient in copper and should eat some liver to balance out all the zinc they're getting.

Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

3 Answers

0
7904c7276d7e48f1be887fabd263bfd9

(300)

on September 14, 2013
at 06:43 PM

oh god, my eyes are bleeding.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php

is how you get zinc without supplement. copper and zinc are antagonistic to one another, so if u get too much of one and not enough of the other the imbalance will make u even more deficient in the one lacking.

like others have said there isnt widespread zinc deficiency like for example (D).

your omega 3 to omega 6 SHOULD NOT be 3:1, it should be 1:2-1:5 ideally.

as far as your macros are concerned you should get about 15% protein which is pretty universal number, you can increase if you bodybuild/workout as long as you dont overdo it, fat and carbs will make up the other 85% so you need to divide according to your goals, the more carbs you take in the harder it will be to lose weight(in general) and the more your blood sugar will be erratic(could contribute to acne?)

your english was pretty horrible in this post but it seems like your supplementing zinc to get rid of acne(pretty narrow view) you need to get your diet in order, repair your gut, then you should be thinking about supplementing. (lower on the totem pole)

you should eat a good deal of meat(provide with fat/protien) along with other sources of clean fat, if your budget is limited maybe think about something like eggs for your fats. in general not eating meat + paleo = superfail.

hope something in there helps, not really sure what your post was about.

0
32f5749fa6cf7adbeb0b0b031ba82b46

(41757)

on September 14, 2013
at 05:29 PM

I don't think most folks are zinc deficient. Where's this notion from?

43873f3cea4f22f91653b0f5ec7ab9d9

(401)

on September 14, 2013
at 06:31 PM

I see this pop up on PH from time to time... I don't get it either. If you're paleo, you're probably eating a decent amount of animal muscle meat. If anything, people are probably deficient in copper and should eat some liver to balance out all the zinc they're getting.

0
96440612cf0fcf366bf5ad8f776fca84

(19413)

on September 14, 2013
at 03:44 PM

Shellfish for the win. Oysters, mussels, clams. Dig in! Some of them have some copper too, so they come pre-balanced, if you will.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!