I started Crossfit 7 weeks ago and LOVE it...I started slacking off my carbs, eliminating soda pop and ANY sweetners, (I do use Stevia) and have been on about a 95% Paleo for 6 weeks now. My weight loss is at 12 pounds but have stopped losing. This is my usual day of eating:
- cran water, stevia, psyllium (with JustCran)
- hot lemon water, stevia, 1/2 lemon
- Breakfast; Blueberry Smoothie, spinach, Unikey Health Protein Powder, stevia, Flax oil, water
- Another Smoothie, same
- Snack, usually an apple or cantalope or raspberries
- Dinner, Some kind of meat; steak, porkchop, chicken, turkey chili, etc... salad with Paleo Dressing....
What am I doing wrong? Am I eating enough Fat?
asked byJulie_Baugher (0)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on May 08, 2013
at 09:24 PM
seems like you are addicted to sweeteners. i'd cut those out if it were me. it doesn't seem like you have enough fat in your diet and it's pretty high carb right now. you might need to cut your carbs if you want to continue losing weight. maybe instead of all the smoothies which are high sugar, just have meat and avocado and more veggies.
on May 08, 2013
at 09:36 PM
If this is what you have been eating daily, you are at best doing 1/3rd (33%) paleo, sorry to say. ;-)
Meals #5 and $6 may be paleo, but #5 should be a small snack of fruit, and there's not enough info about #6 except that you have included some kind of animal protein on a salad.
- Good job quitting soda! It's very difficult for some people to do.
So, here's some critical points:
- Chill out with the stevia! You won't die if everything you consume doesn't taste sweet, I promise.
- Protein powders? Flax oil? Just eat some food. If supplements comprise the biggest portion of a meal, something is amiss. Strict paleo means none of that shit - but if you truly take that sort of stuff supplementally, no one is going to call you on it. ;-)
- Don't drink your food. A smoothie of veggies and fruit on occasion is fine if you really like them, but make that a sometimes food. Except for babies, humans should be chewing their foods, not drinking them.
- I started slacking off my carbs ... what does this mean? It seems that you stopped eating dense, carb-rich veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, yuca, squash, etc. Unless you have an urge to experiment with low-carb style paleo, I suggest you include this type of food in your paleo diet, especially if you are doing CrossFit.
- Breakfast: eggs are easy, so start there. Add in vegetables: onions, garlic, cooked greens, avocados, peppers, etc. But there's no rule about "eggs for breakfast" -- eat whatever real, whole foods you want to; e.g. steak leftovers from dinner.
- Consider some beets on that dinner salad.
- Unless you know what you are trying to do regarding low carb dieting, please include paleo sources of dense, carb root and tubers.
on May 08, 2013
at 10:51 PM
Wow! you're doing crossfit & eating like this, straight off the bat i'd say you are getting nowhere near as much protein as you need, Listen to greymouser, get some whole foods down you quick time Julie, you've come to the right place for info..There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here. Best of luck.
on May 08, 2013
at 11:14 PM
Lots of 'kinda' meals in there, not many true meals. Maybe a meal plan more like this:
Breakfast: 2 eggs/.25lbs meat, some coconut oil/ghee/grassfed-butter sautteed greens like spinach or kale with coffee or tea.
Lunch: .25 lb chicken on a bed of lettuce/any sort of veggies you can think to stick in there, with olive oil and vinegar, and end it all with an apple or banana
Dinner: .33 lb meat, sautteed veggies in that coconut oil/ghee/grassfed butter, with half an avocado
Dessert: a cup of berries sprinkled with cinnamon and (maybe) a small touch of honey, though honey is definitely not required.
Maybe kinda something like that? You currently have a lot of easily burned carbs in there, and if you feel the urge to eat six times a day, I can say right now that I'm just not surprised. Your body gets a smoothie in it and it consumes it like raw meat in front of the nose of a kibble-starved beagle.
on May 09, 2013
at 02:44 PM
For real, start eating real food and more of it throughout the day. With your diet and workout intensity/frequency, your body just won't buy losing weight. It's holding on for dear life.
If you're doing full-on CrossFit, you gotta eat. Those shakes and powders are not gonna get the job done. You're not getting the right food until dinnertime. By that time, your body thinks it's being murdered.
It also looks as if your fat intake isn't close to what you need to give your body the green light to let go of fat stores.
For most people, paleo works, especially when combined with a sensible program of vigorous exercise. Snacking and shakes complicate matters in my opinion and hold back the systems that promote healthy fat loss. I get the best results when I do a day's worth of PALEO eating in a 6-8 hour time frame and keep up with my workouts. It's simple, but not easy if you know what I mean.
on September 07, 2013
at 12:44 AM
Great information; At least I have a good start and have gotten rid of a lot of unhealthy foods, I told myself I would be a work in progess, as long as I am progressing. There is SOOO much information out there that is contradicting...I will make a few changes and go from there and then regroup, ask again, and then go from there.
How are these for changes; 1) no more stevia 2) make them all meals instead of "non chewables", LOL 3) Berries once and awhile 4) more protein, more fat....
I will start with these 4...
Thanks to EVERYONE that took the time to respond, I appreciate it more then you know...