how do you store vegetables PROPERLY ?????
im about to rip out my computer and throw it out the window.
i have tried searching for this simple answer to my simple question, and it seems every single website I go to has a different answer or gives completely contradictory advice, or are so vague (they will say something like "oh just cut leaves off carrots and store as is)
store as is? i need to know the detailed specifics. im a college student on a budget and i am sick and tired of buying vegetables and having to throw them out after a couple days or seeing all the color and flavor (Which means nutrient depletion) disappear!
i need to know how to store these vegetables, SPECIFICALLY, STEP BY STEP.
root vegetables (carrots, beets, etc) kale, collard greens/chard
i just cant afford this anymore, and i want to stay paleo but i literally cannot because my vegetables are going bad!!!
also, if your advice entails i put anything in the vegetable crisper, do i put it on high or low humidity ?
asked byjake_13 (439)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on January 07, 2013
at 07:50 PM
I was as desperate as you. I am afraid there are only two solutions:
- eat your vegetables in 2-4 days
- freeze it
- Don't wash the vegetables in advance, just wash what you will eat/freeze. It lasts longer.
- For freezing greens, refer to this website (and enjoy its Comic-Sans beauty): http://pickyourown.org/freezing_greens.htm
- For smoothies, just chop your vegetables/fruits, bag and freeze
- Be sure to always have some chopped garlic, parsley, carrot, celery and similar stuff in the freezer. (Glass jars are fine for that).