In my quest overcome a life-long lack of energy, I've occassionally thought about whether my mouth full of mercury fillings might be a culprit. It certainly isn't paleo.
Has anybody here dealt with this or given it any thought? Has anybody had them removed? I've heard you should use a specially-trained dentist to avoid risking a massive exposure during removal.
Or is it all just a bunch of hooey?
asked byPortesa (634)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on April 22, 2011
at 11:50 PM
About two years ago, I had all my amalgams removed by a dentist trained and equipped to do so safely. I cannot tell you that I noticed any dramatic improvement afterwards. According to certain people you have detox the mercury out of your system. Indeed, afterwards I was tested for mercury using a DMPS challenge. It showed me to have extremely high levels of mercury. I then had about 5 sessions of IV DMPS. Even after that, the labs show a lot of mercury.
My conclusions: I don't know. I don't know if the labs were accurate or inaccurate. It's hard to say if removing the amalgams helped or not. As with diet stuff, there is a lot of dogma out there. You will inevitably run into the name of Andrew Cutler if you pursue this. He's a Princeton trained biochemist who's made quite a name for himself as having discovered a way to detox mercury. I was unimpressed by him, and actually got thrown off of a Yahoo list which touts his methodology :) when I asked too many questions (to him).
The head of the Chemistry Dept at University of Kentucky, Boyd Haley, has also done a lot of research on this question, and I would tend to pay attention to what he has to say on it. He does indeed think that you can get mercury poisoning from amalgams,but his approach is quite different.
Cutler's methodology is difficult to follow but cheap. DMPS is easy but expensive (and it didn't work for me). I don't even know if I should trust the lab results I got.
So, basically I've just told you a lot and nothing. I don't know what to make of the mercury issue. Is it just another "Alternative Health" scam? I am not sure one way or the other. Look into it carefully.
on June 01, 2011
at 06:00 PM
I had 3 fillings replaced in March this year. I sought out a "holistic dentist" because I'd heard an interview w/a holistic dentist (Rupam Henry/link below) recommending that HD's are trained to remove the mercury the best. (A friend who has Chronic Fatique Syndrome seconded the recommendation of a holistic dentist). I'm not sure what to make of all what Rupam says but I did find a guy who had gone through a very competitive dentistry school and was holistic and specialized in silver/mercury removal.
Like Thomas, I can't say I feel any different at all. Maybe it takes time for the mercury to leave the body? I know eating seaweed helps with the removal. I too always wonder if the zealousness about their removal is earned. The fact that they don't allow silver fillings in Germany (&other places) made me feel better about the removal.
Getting molar fillings replaced is no small job--it's a trauma to your body and a month-and-a-half later I can tell my mouth is still healing (I'm 43). They are getting better but I still can't chew the way I used to. So, I don't know how old you are but you might want to consider that a factor. I'm in good health but it's still a big job.
My dentist did say that the silver fillings were cracking since they were so old, from childhood, so I figured it was worth it.
It'd be really most worth it if you can afford to get porcelain fillings since they last the longest, but they are very expensive if you have a few teeth to do.
on April 23, 2011
at 01:17 AM
From everything I understand about the science of mercury, and what has been studied and published, is that the only mercury that binds with body tissue in humans is the kind that is dissolved in water under certain pH and other conditions. This is why mercury from consuming older fish is bad, because it's bio-available, while in the metal state, it supposedly is not. Just like licking a copper pipe won't give you a dietary source of copper, but cooking acidic foods in an aluminum pan will eventually pit the pan, meaning some of the surface aluminum has been leached from the pan into the acidic liquid.
That said, I don't know how well the conditions under which it become bio-available is known. From what I understand now, I would say that any mercury that would enter our bodies in a bio-available form would be released when the conditions in our mouths are adequate to liberate the mercury from the fillings into the methylmercury state. I haven't read enough about how that chemical transition is made or how much methylmercury the amount in the surface of a mercury amalgam could produce under the right conditions to become bioavailable to the body. I don't have any definitive answers, but perhaps this background information can shed some perspective.
Also, I can say for sure that my lifelong lack of energy is due to fibromyalgia, and I've had it since I was a young kid. I'd watch other kids play sports and not understand why they would want to do something so painful. Studies have shown that people with fibro have brains that are wired differently in regards to the behavior in the pain centers, but no links to causes at this stage of research. Mercury? Maybe, or the nearly 300 other chemicals I was likely born with, or some combination thereof.
on April 22, 2011
at 11:54 PM
I am in process of getting mine removed. I have two more to go. It is imperative that you go to someone that is trained under the Hal Huggins protocal. Go to this website to find a dentist www.iamot.org.