I have intermittent tinnitus (sounds like audio tape hiss) which seems to be associated with a slightly congested, full feeling in my ears. Here are the details:
1. I am vegan 5 years (50 years old, 5'11, 163 lb)
2. Problem started in year 3.
3. Figured out that certain foods were doing it, mostly wheat and corn based foods and additives. For example, maltodextrin brings it on in 20 minutes. Episodes typically last until the next morning.
4. Saw a naturopath, and she felt that I was actually having an adrenal issue. I had IGG allergy testing (completely clear, no sensitivities), and cortisol test (4 saliva vials through the day).
5. Cortisol was normal upon waking, then extremely low for the rest of the day (probably from 10am on, my readings were essentially at the bottom of the graph).
6. I don't seem to have any of the fatigue, or any other symptoms associated with low cortisol.
7. The naturopath believes my low cortisol is resulting in poor blood sugar regulation, causing issues when I eat wheat, additives, etc. She believes the blood sugar regulation is directly related to low cortisol and therefore my tinnitus.
8. I believe my tinnitus issue is related to my TMJ or my jaw in general (I have no pain) because I can vary the intensity of it by jutting out my jaw. This is causing me to wonder if one of my symptoms is actually inflammation (though I have no visible inflammation)
9. I've read many places, and my naturopath tended to agree, that my vegan diet was not going to be conducive to healing adrenal issues. Therefore I have just started back eating meat.
10. I've cut out grains completely, and for the past week have been eating only meat, fish, eggs, and veggies (broccoli, brussel sprouts, onions, that sort of thing) as well as olive oil.
11. First 2 days after giving up grains, my ears were terrific. Hardly any ringing. As the week goes on, the ringing (and full ear feeling) has returned, though not to the same level. Last night I had store-bought pork chops (probably factory farm), onions, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, peas, and my ears began ringing 20 minutes later (standard reaction time when I eat something bad such as wheat pastry).
My question: Is the paleo diet a good strategy for fixing my cortisol issue? Any other advice?
asked byDave99 (0)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!