0

votes

Cast Iron Enamel - Turned Purple

Answered on September 12, 2014
Created March 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Hey All -

I had a bizarre thing happen last night. I bought a roasting chicken and threw it in the dutch oven on low. When it was done, the bottom of my pot had turned purple (was white). Ive scrubbed the heck out of it and its still there. Has this happened to anyone, should I be worried that something may have leached, etc?

A089b683ee0498f2b21b7edfa300e405

(3895)

on March 14, 2011
at 12:59 PM

@rob - eating Aluminum compounds is not particularly healthy. there are known to be quite toxic

50637dfd7dc7a7e811d82283f4f5fd10

(5838)

on March 13, 2011
at 08:32 PM

Thanks for the great tips, Cheryl :)

50637dfd7dc7a7e811d82283f4f5fd10

(5838)

on March 13, 2011
at 07:58 PM

about 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar in the broth

  • 50637dfd7dc7a7e811d82283f4f5fd10

    asked by

    (5838)
  • Views
    1.5K
  • Last Activity
    1523D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

3 Answers

5
2b8c327d1296a96ad64cdadc7dffa72d

on March 13, 2011
at 08:02 PM

enameled cast iron can stain easily. you can try warm water & 1T bleach to see if it will dissolve. I assume the stain is where the chicken was in contact with the pot? Depending on the manufacturer, the cast iron underneath the enamel may not have been "raw" meaning it had a coating before the enameling process; if the coating was shellac, it can cause a red/orange/purple result, that may have permeated the pot. also, always use a little liquid or fat if you're going to cook for long periods with enamel.

Before using bleach, just heat some water with a little dish soap in it; then scrub with nylon. If nothing comes up, the bleach may be your last resort. If the bleach doesn't solve it, consider your pot "loved & well used."

50637dfd7dc7a7e811d82283f4f5fd10

(5838)

on March 13, 2011
at 08:32 PM

Thanks for the great tips, Cheryl :)

1
Ed71ab1c75c6a9bd217a599db0a3e117

(25482)

on March 13, 2011
at 08:32 PM

I bet it had cobalt in it and that is why it happened after it oxidized. I would toss it. Cobalt is nasty heavy metal.

0
0adda19045a3641edac0008364b91110

(1146)

on March 13, 2011
at 07:27 PM

I don't know what happened there, I just know that I just ate food from an aluminum pan that burned, and now I have a nasty metallic taste in my mouth.

Did you cook anything acidic in it with your chicken?

A089b683ee0498f2b21b7edfa300e405

(3895)

on March 14, 2011
at 12:59 PM

@rob - eating Aluminum compounds is not particularly healthy. there are known to be quite toxic

50637dfd7dc7a7e811d82283f4f5fd10

(5838)

on March 13, 2011
at 07:58 PM

about 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar in the broth

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!