Who put the MOLD in the coconut? (Or, why you should ALWAYS shake it first!)

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created March 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM

We bought a coconut at the grocery store today - well, my 11-yr-old daughter did. I didn't pay too much attention just supervised the drilling of the shell at home. Turns out, there was an almost invisible crack on the 'nut already, and not only was the thing devoid of a single drop of coconut 'milk', the flesh inside was covered with mold. Beyond her disappointment, my daughter is worried because she probably inhaled some of the mold in the process (she tried to 'drink' it through a straw before she realized it was 'empty'!). I'm told her not to worry, but to let me know if she had ANY coughing, sore throat, headache, etc.

Other than some lab tests on a sample of the stuff, is there anyway to find out if she's inhaled something toxic?



on March 16, 2012
at 02:13 AM

Not to complain, but every time I see your question I hear THAT GOOFY SONG in my head. (LOL)



on March 15, 2012
at 03:54 AM

I've drank a few sips of soured coconut water out of moldy coconuts on several occasions. I have never experienced any symptoms from it.

  • 76a411c04f19fe997b82889d74fa47a3

    asked by

  • Views
  • Last Activity
    1426D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

5 Answers



on March 15, 2012
at 12:19 AM

Are you talking about a young coconut or a mature coconut? Coconuts are filled with water so you would not find milk in there. When you grate the meat and blend it with water and strain the resulting liquid from pulp, that is what's called "coconut milk". Usually Asian stores have two "kinds" of young coconut. One is the most common where they shave the green outer layer leaving white "top shaped" coconut which is usually sprayed with alot of chemicals(formaldehyde I think), and the other is the young coconut without the outer green layer shaved off. I would'nt worry too much about the mold. If what you are talking about is a mature coconut, next time shake it at the store to see if theres alot of liquid inside (or if there isn't) and you should be able to tell which one is too ripe(with no liquid). Choose a coconut with alot of liquid inside. Make sure there are no cracks and check the "eyes" if they are wet. Well hope this helps you out.


on July 02, 2013
at 07:27 PM

Thanks. I just drank the milk from a coconut. It tasted awful. When I broke it open, it was gray and moldy inside. That is how I found this information online because I wanted to know if it will make me sick. I wanted to know what to expect. Sounds like I will be ok for today at least.



on March 16, 2012
at 01:53 AM

Thanks! It was black and white mold, and it was a mature coconut. She seems fine so far, and from now on we're shaking all coconuts! :-)



on March 14, 2012
at 10:56 PM

I've stumbled across bad ones before. Each time the inside was purple and smelled foul. Luckily I only blindly ate/drank the water once. Outside the dreadful taste, I didn't get sick.

After throwing away quite a few, I always check the bottom of the coconuts for purple-toned cracks. It's not a perfect system, but has cut down the bad ones dramatically.



on March 14, 2012
at 10:09 PM

What color was the mold?

Answer Question

Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!