1

votes

Mold on fresh coconut meat

Answered on August 19, 2014
Created March 04, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I bought a mature coconut today and some of parts of the meat had a small amount of mold on the outside of the flesh. Not knowing what it was at first, I didn't think of anything of it, but the blue cheese flavor of the coconut meat caught me off guard. Is there any danger in eating a small amount of mold? Now that I think about the coconut water was a little cloudier than normal. The remaining coconut meat doesn't have signs of mold, is it still safe to eat?

Ce7e28769d92d5de5533e775b1de966e

on March 05, 2012
at 12:54 AM

You can always replace. Its so hard, at least for me, to throw food out.. I get pissed off when I find something tasty has gone off but better safe than sorry you know? Say no to botulism!

1ab7ccb9520dddd0777db88e74ca0bed

(870)

on March 04, 2012
at 11:46 PM

Thanks, I decided to throw it out. Now I just need to worry about getting botulism from my homemade pickles...

  • 1ab7ccb9520dddd0777db88e74ca0bed

    asked by

    (870)
  • Views
    27.9K
  • Last Activity
    1518D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

4 Answers

6
Ce7e28769d92d5de5533e775b1de966e

on March 04, 2012
at 07:20 PM

IMO? Toss it. Sorry :(

My rules for mold:

Hard cheese and firm fruits and veggies can be trimmed if they have mold on them, just do a deep cut so you know you got it all out. Mold can't really tendril through the firm structure.

Soft fruit and veg, if there is mold, toss.

Ce7e28769d92d5de5533e775b1de966e

on March 05, 2012
at 12:54 AM

You can always replace. Its so hard, at least for me, to throw food out.. I get pissed off when I find something tasty has gone off but better safe than sorry you know? Say no to botulism!

1ab7ccb9520dddd0777db88e74ca0bed

(870)

on March 04, 2012
at 11:46 PM

Thanks, I decided to throw it out. Now I just need to worry about getting botulism from my homemade pickles...

0
76a411c04f19fe997b82889d74fa47a3

(5)

on March 14, 2012
at 10:01 PM

We bought a coconut at the grocery store today - well, my 11-yr-old daughter did. I didn't pay too much attention just supervised the drilling of the shell at home. Turns out, there was an almost invisible crack on the 'nut already, and not only was the thing devoid of a single drop of coconut 'milk', the flesh inside was covered with mold. Beyond her disappointment, my daughter is worried because she probably inhaled some of the mold in the process (she tried to 'drink' it through a straw before she realized it was 'empty'!). I'm told her not to worry, but to let me know if she had ANY coughing, sore throat, headache, etc.

0
96bf58d8c6bd492dc5b8ae46203fe247

(37227)

on March 04, 2012
at 08:51 PM

I threw out 2 coconuts in a week for that problem. If I buy a "fresh" coconut, slime and mold are not good things. They were fine on the outside but I learned to be much more critical when examining them.

I had been making my own coconut milk/cream but that was pretty much the end of it because I found I was wasting most of each coconut. A very small portion once in a while is my natural pattern so if I happen to get hungry for it at some future point (hasn't happened in several months) I'll buy some unsweetened flakes and go from there.

0
77877f762c40637911396daa19b53094

(78467)

on March 04, 2012
at 08:01 PM

For the price of a replacement coconut there is no point getting sick eating it.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!