0

votes

Can I use exclusively coconut flour in a recipe?

Answered on December 25, 2013
Created December 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM

you can replace 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with coconut flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the receipe"

Now, does that mean:

1. Replace all the flour with coconut flour, using only 20% of the amount called for. Add liquid in place of the 80%. (e.g. milk, oil?), OR

2. Replace all the flour with coconut flour, using only 20% of the amount called for. Also add additional liquid, the same amount as the coconut flour: 20%.

3. Replace up to 20% of the flour with coconut flour. For the other 80% of the flour, use rice flour or something else.

I thought it was the third reading. My mom thought it was the first. My dad thought it was the second. Each will produce a dramatically different recipe. I don't want to totally botch this. Would love to hear from someone who has experience with coconut flour.

Also, I saw something on here about using extra eggs with coconut flour, is this recommended?

  • 032b342bc20e78d74f3954af570c6258

    asked by

    (50)
  • Views
    1.1K
  • Last Activity
    1519D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

3 Answers

0
A048b66e08306d405986b6c04bf5e8e4

on December 25, 2013
at 02:25 AM

Yes you can, I do all the time and my cakes/cookies are wonderfully moist, just be sure to add egg and maybe a little chia for extra elasticity.

0
90bcfafd2ef73fea5398c483c593349e

on December 24, 2013
at 09:49 PM

Statement 3 is the most correct. Replace 20% of the flour with coconut flour, but DO NOT replace the rest with other grain free flours. Your recipe will almost certainly turn out very differently than you intend. I suggest searching for a replacement grain-free recipe online that will not require tweaking to meet your needs. Brittany Angell at realsustenance.com has the best grain-free and paleo baking recipes on the web. Good luck, @Canadian!

0
32f5749fa6cf7adbeb0b0b031ba82b46

(41757)

on December 24, 2013
at 04:31 PM

Coconut oil is not a 1-to-1 replacement for wheat flour, statement #3 is the most correct. I can't stand it personally. I find that replacing flour with potato starch works as good as anything, I've replaced all wheat flour in some recipes with it, assuming you know how to tweak the wet and the application is appropriate.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!