[This is a follow-on to my supplements question]
Lots of questions around testing on PaleoHacks. Why, How, Which etc etc
Let's wrap this in one amazing thread.
Here is how I would like for you to answer:
1) Common name of test
1a) Which form or format (if it has multiple) is recommended & why, (This is often very confusing)
1b) Typical cost
2) Why anyone would want to take it? What is the context?
2a) How to interpret it
2b) Can you order it without doctor?
3) Link to site that sells it
4) Potential Pitfalls?
Have at it.
asked byPatrik (10502)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on September 19, 2011
at 01:09 AM
1) Adrenal Cortisol x4 salivary (tests 4 times in a day)
1a) Salivary (non invasive)
1b) Typical cost $135 + s/h
2) Why anyone would want to take it? What is the context? See Jack's Hack
2a) How to interpret it -- it can be high or low at varying points during the day related to poopy adrenals or excessive adrenaline/stress provoked by different factors (yoga-deficiency haa, sleep deprivation (Patrik!!!), heavy metal toxicity, dysbiosis, HIIT or endurance overtraining, hormone dysregulation/Moobies/PCOS, birth control, celiac/gluten intolerance, life stressors/moving/job changes/family stress/etc, iPad-addiction, former SAD or vegan, damaged metabolism, etc)
2b) Can you order it without doctor? No doctor necessary. PH'ers can hack it.
3) Link to site that sells it http://virginiahopkinstestkits.com/salivakits.html
4) Potential Pitfalls? Overhacking v. relaxing
on September 18, 2011
at 09:43 PM
1) Finger sugar test.
1a) Preprandial and 1,2h postprandial
1b) Cost: ~.5 E
2) Why: Evaluate how your pancreas secretes insulin in response to food you eat which may describe several sympthoms like immunity problems, low energy, anxiety, irritation ...
2a) Interpretation: Higher or lower values can signify pre diabetes. Hiperglicemia may signify insulin resistance. Hypoglicemia may signify hyperinsulinemia.
2b) Can you order it without doctor? Yes
3) Link to site that sells it: Everywhere
4) Potential Pitfalls?: If you are on low carb or use high amounts of C, results can be unrelibable.