Saturday I did two things I never usually do when invited over for dinner,
1) I ate a plate they prepared especially for me and no one else ate (chicken breast stuffed with veggies in a roll-far as I could tell it was safe),
2) I ate a dessert, my first real big cheat, I ate 2 helpings too! (a passion fruit puddingy type thing with whipped sugared egg whites on top-sugar, raw egg whites and probably flour and lime-which am intolerant to-in the pudding)
So Since Sunday I've been terribly sick! Started feeling better Tuesday, but that didn't last long. I'm now day 5 with the same exact symptoms and immodium is doing absolutely NOTHING afer 5 days straight and several doses as instructed...usually this is the one thing I can count on to work for me.
We sent a sample to the lab and got rushed results back, the dr. said either a bacterial poisoning or parasites. He started me on a med yesterday for the parasite, only 6 pills in 3 days to be safe. Said if its bacterial we'll switch to some sort of antibiotic.
So lab results in hand, no parasites, no abnormal bacteria.
This morning I drank a glass of water with a big helping of charcoal (why I didn't remember it until now), and things have settled for now, breakfast is still with me. (I'm also doing bananas, eggs, home made chicken broth, pototes and cooked carrots, lots liquids-will add pumkin as posted on another hack question).
So, my question is, food poisoning? after 5 days would this not show in the test results?
Is this food poisoning? I have no fever but definitely feel the body chilling and heating as I fight this off. I definitely feel this is different than a bout from eating an intolerant food, usually clears up in 24-48 hours and with immodium.
I'm traveling on Tuesday and will be running around looking for housing, so I need to have this under control. What worries me mostly is that the immodium isn't working. I'm going to take the charcoal again this afternoon and see how things are tomorrow. I have no issue IF'ing, been pretty much doing that now, but am feeling very weak in general and trying to fight the dehydration.
Any other suggestions for getting this under control if a poisoning?
EDIT: Add symptoms: (this is going to be TMI!!) awoke early with liquid dirreaha, got worse as the day progressed with heavy feeling and severe pain in the lower part of intestines and (R) lower quadrant, right side back, relief after movement (this would happen before I needed to go running to bathroom all days). Uncontrollable dirreaha and naseau throughout the day, Monday awoke the same afternoon soreness in same area mentioned above, but not heavy nor additional liquid movement, Tuesday return to Sundays symptoms mid afternoon thru evening (was still eating broth and chicken, potatoes at this point), same Wednesday, same this morning. After the charcoal this morning, no additional movements. I still feel chilly, sweaty and need to hudle under the covers until I feel better. Now up and moving.
My husband has corrected me, there was one other person eating the same chicken I ate, she didn't have any issues from what we know. Everyone else also ate the dessert.
EDIT: Labs: done by light microscopy
consistency: loose and uniform
reducing sugars: neg
neutral fat: neg
bacterial flora: normal
intestional parasites: none observed in sample
asked byKelly_3 (8767)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on July 28, 2011
at 07:12 PM
You have my sympathy.
From what you discribe as your symptoms it is most likely that you have gastroenteritis as a result of contaminated food. The chicken or raw egg could easily be reponsible or it could be contamination transfered by hand.
Your symptoms: Diarrhoea, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Chills and sweats are quite typical of bacterial food poisoning. It could be caused by one of several bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella or Campylobacter. A virus such as norovirus could also be a cause. It is hard to diagnose any these using a light microscope.
Such cases of gasteroenteritis usually last somewhere between 4 to 7 days and in adults resolve without any treatment. Antibiotics are not generally of any help in healthy adults and will only kill all your normal gut bacteria.
Eat if you are hungry. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water as you will be losing a lot. There is not much else you can do other than wait it out.
Any other causes such as parasites, or other known local causes where you live is something only your doctor can help you with.
From the UK National Health Service website:
on July 28, 2011
at 05:36 PM
Kelly it really sounds like entamoeba histolytica. I had it twice in Central America but the TMI stool sample picked it up so they knew how to treat. Any weird bites on you? No chance of Chaga???s? Hmm..
I'm sending an email to a friend of mine who works with tropical diseases and see if I can get a response asap for you, will update this post as soon as I can. Be well and take care lady.
on July 28, 2011
at 05:25 PM
Could it be a viral infection? Not sure if labs would pick that up...
on May 07, 2013
at 04:27 AM
Try some olive leaf/oregano extract. You can get them combined IN DROPS. You can get the drops at supper supplements or in the health food supplement section of most grocery stores. The stuff tastes HORRIBLE and may sting a little on your lips. I mixed it with 8 ounces of water 3 times a day, it cleared up whatever I caught in Cambodia which was very similar to what you are going through. I ate the same thing as everyone around me and was the only one sick. Some people just have shitty luck ... pun intended.
on May 07, 2013
at 03:38 AM
Among all the detecting activities, gold detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both our mind and body, but also give us a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time when you feel bored, you can pick up a metal detector for gold and have a try.