Has anyone had problems digesting bananas?

Answered on September 16, 2018
Created September 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM

I’ve always been able to eat bananas, but one day out of nowhere I got this horrible hurt at the top of my stomach(under the rib area) and I thought I was going to die. I was in bed 3 days. At the 3rd day I decided to vomit which I hate to do and the entire banana came up and it wasn’t even partially digested. Can anyone tell me what this might be.

Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

1 Answers



on September 16, 2018
at 03:33 PM

Could be a blockage, maybe the banana didn't make it into the stomach, which would explain the pain, can you eat anything else? Could also be very low stomach acid, which will cause all sorts of very bad side effects such as SIBO, acid/bile reflux, and gut infections.

You can test for low acid by drinking a bit of baking soda - maybe half a teaspoon, in a cup water - if you burp there is acid in your stomach.

Are you able to digest other foods?

If you've had acid reflux in the past, it's possible that caused Barret's Esophagus, which is a very bad situation - one of it's side effects is that you wouldn't be able to swallow, but the real issue is that it can cause cancer.

In most cases, acid reflux is caused by low stomach acid, not high, because the LES which closes the stomach only does so when there is sufficient acid in the stomach. PPIs and other acid blockers actually cause far more problems than they fix and will cause more acid reflux in the long term. If you shut down stomach acid production, you'll also expose yourself to other risks. Food contains bacteria and most of it will die off in stomach acid. Without acid, your small intestine could get infected, and that can cause SIBO which will cause lots of other problems.

I don't know that this is what happened here, but it's something to keep in mind incase it applies.

Answer Question

Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!