Okay, I added "disgusting" in the title to get you to look... plus, I'm very new to Paleo and I'm coming from a vegan background. I know Paleo (the autoimmune version) I'm following will help, at least I'm confident it will, but cooking meat is still disgusting to me. I hate the look, the feel, the smell of it cooking.... sigh. I wasn't vegan for animal rights (yeah yeah I know), but merely because I thought I couldn't digest meat, and it really grosses me out. I'm ready to do this though... I'm just at a loss as to what to do! I'm a young adult so my foray into cooking for myself was vegetarian/vegan, so I don't know how to handle meat. So far I've got the 'dumping the chicken into the pot and scrubbing my hands five times' thing down.... but how do you all disinfect after handling raw meat? I have a tiny apartment kitchen, so if whatever I'm cooking on the stove splatters, it will go anywhere. I'd much prefer a natural method, but I want something TRULY efficient... I never feel like my kitchen gets completely clean, and I get nervous to touch the countertops or cutting board or stove knobs. I need a method that will work on multi-surfaces. Also, my bigger pots will not fit into the dishwasher. How is the best way to disinfect those? Part two of my bacteria worry is, how long can I leave meat out of the refrigerator? If I cook a meal in a pot, turn off the heat but keep the lid on, are we talking fifteen minutes? Thirty? An hour? I've been guilty of cooking a pot of chicken with veggies and leaving it unattended for over an hour... but the lid was on, and the liquid was still very warm when I did put it in containers to refrigerate. ?? Thanks in advance for any tips and help. Good luck wishes are also appreciated. : )
asked byGreyRat (10)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on August 26, 2014
at 07:54 PM
You know, veggies can contain bacteria and other contaminants in concentrations just as high as meat, therefore why they are so often implicated in outbreaks involving E. coli, listeria, botulism, salmonella, etc. As a matter of fact, you can even go to this page (http://www.foodsafetynews.com/sections/food-recalls/) and check out recent food recalls, most are not meat at all and are ususally 100% plant-based. Don't worry too much about meat, just cook it until it's done to the correct temperature and eat it. It's delicious and safe.
Meat is not disgusting at all, you want disgusting??? Try Vegemite or Marmite, now that's fuqin disgusting.
on August 26, 2014
at 01:38 PM
Turn down the heat. You are cooking too hot. Get a cast iron skillet with high walls. Also , get a splatter screen.
To to answer your question, diluted vinegar with a ribbed rag will work to clean.
on August 30, 2014
at 12:42 PM
Embrace the bacteria, they are our friends, what do you think probiotics are? They're bacteria. Sure, not all bacteria are friendly - some are harmful, and most fungi are downright dangerous. But your fear borders on obsession.
Oh, and you should avoid antimicrobial dish detergent or soaps for that matter. If you kill off all the bacteria on your skin, you invite the bad guys to move in without any resistance. Plus a lot of them will build resistance to the antibiotics making them outright dangerous. Instead, if you have a lot of beneficial bacteria on your skin, they'll fight off any invasive species. This isn't to say you shouldn't wash your hands, but rather, not to be obsessive about it.
You couldn't digest meat most likely because you didn't produce enough stomach acid. Most likely you didn't produce enough stomach acid because you didn't consume enough zinc, magnesium and other minerals, which prevented stomach acid from forming. This could be caused by using antacids, or an H. Pylori infection, or not eating meat for a very long time.
If you're eating a CAFO chicken, it's probably been dipped in an ammonia solution or a chlorine bath or something similar. Yes, you should wash it thoroughly, not because it contains bacteria (they've all been killed), but because of the toxins that are generated when meat comes in contact with chlorine or ammonia.
To disinfect a pot, simply heat it up. You'd wash it out with dish detergent, fill it with water and bring the water to a boil, very easy. But this isn't even necessary. Simply cleaning the pot with dish detergent and then drying it is enough.
I've left stuff in the crock pot out overnight after unplugging it to let it cool down and let the fat collect at the top, and nothing bad happened.
Too long and the food does go bad, but a covered pot that started out hot and hasn't been opened once cooled can stay on the stove for a long time without anything bad happening to its contents. Even then, when you do open it and transfer its contents to preferrably glass containers and place it in the fridge, it will last a week.