I have noticed some tiny black lines under my fingernails and googled to find out they are called splinter hemorrhages. I noticed them on 3 nails, 2 tiny little dots and one little line and I can't say I've ever noticed such a thing before eating paleo.
Now I'm freaking out a little bit because wikipedia said splinter hemorrhages can be a sign of trichinosis which can come from eating undercooked bacon. I rarely ate bacon before and now I eat it once or twice a week and cook it by putting it in the toaster oven at 300 degrees F for 30 - 60 mins. The slices are fairly thick and even though the meat always seems cooked, the fatty part is still.. fatty.
Obviously this probably paranoia, but I just need some reassurance. What are the chances eating undercooked bacon (Trader Joe's Uncured Ends & Pieces) could be responsible for the lines under my nails? I don't want any scary diseases!
asked byKim_30 (591)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on February 08, 2014
at 08:59 PM
It has been mostly eliminated? One thing to think about it is in a 4"x4" block of meat there can be more than 1 billion muscle fibers. Organisms like Trichinella Spiralis live within these muscle fibers. So there will be no chance we will have the opportunity to avoid them completely. It's inevitable, but the best way to avoid it is to stop eating where it comes from. :D
on February 07, 2014
at 02:35 PM
There is no way that those bugs are still alive in your bacon. 30+ minutes at 300 degrees in a salted and cured piece of meat? If it survives that it can survive anything and we are probably dealing with an alien life form. And yes, your "uncured" bacon is cured. How you ask? Read the ingredients, does it say "celery juice" or "celery powder"? Well just so you know celery has one of the highest naturally occurring concentrations of nitrates, so a little bit of it will have the same effect as putting sodium nitrite on your food, the same chemical reaction will take place and the same mutagenic end products will result (nitrosamines). This curing process inhibits parasite growth and cooking eradicates any remnants. Stop being paranoid, it's not the bacon. And yes, fat is fatty.
on February 07, 2014
at 07:13 AM
As far as my research yes you are correct. Comes from different meat in general, the trichinella spiralis is a spiral shaped microscopic worm. If you had a nice bio-lab microscope or any microscope, you could try removing it carefull without damaging it too much and then look at it under a microscope.
Treatment appears to be Mebendazole ,Albendazole, and broad spectrum Anthelmintics. I tried damn near all of them but you will have a heck of a time having your doctor prescribe them. That's why I bought my meds/ anti biotics on ebay for real cheap. It appeared to do a lot for me for instance one I used the most was Doxycycline, and quite a few others I tried a lot of them.
What you need to understand is it's going to come from what you eat and they are 99.9% of the time in all dairy/ meat. If you eat meat, cheese, eggs, milk, ice cream you will for sure have heavy infestation no way around it. The other 0.1% comes from all other none dairy/ meat soruces like fruits, vegebtables, tap or bottled water, soda, beer etc. So you can never get away from it because it's just a part of life here on Earth.
I know from experience I used to have quite a few lines under my nails and it was insanely annoying considering at the time I ate meat and dairy regularly as anyone would. So I took the plunge after 25 years of eating meat and dairy I went vegan! I try and drink strictly distilled water from the store and multipler herbal coffees I brew. Since going vegan my whole entire life has changed completely for the better. I went from 235 lbs to now 185 lbs in less than a year going vegan. I look and feel at least 10 years younger than I am and people say so. I can also say that after 8 months on straight vegan I had 0 lines under my nails they all cleared up after 8 months. Now at 1 year and drinking soda and tap/ bottled water often I see 1 line on my pointer finger.
So basically if you wanna get rid of them it will take time and 6 month minimum to see them disappear on vegan. If you don't want to go vegan then they will presist forever. Before I went vegan I was taking all the meds to kill them yet I was just re-infesting my self with meat/ dairy and the lines never went away. They continued to pop up for an entire year on meds as a non-vegan.
GOOD LUCK! email me if u want firstname.lastname@example.org