1

votes

Instant sore throat after eating chocolates and peanut oil along with swelling if the tonsils

Answered on September 12, 2014
Created July 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I have a son who is 13years old,he has sensitivity to certain brands of chocolates (cadbury, ram-mandel,eclairs...) .After eating his voice becomes hoarse and his tonsils swell. Same is with certain cooking oils and foods.He has no fever or cold along with it.Wondering how to treat this problem and what test can be done to find what foods he is allergic to

0a9ad4e577fe24a6b8aafa1dd7a50c79

(5150)

on July 26, 2012
at 04:55 AM

Yeah, I'm a horrible person for recommending the only feasible solution that will allow her son to enjoy chocolate again.

61f9349ad28e3c42d1cec58ba4825a7d

(10480)

on July 23, 2012
at 04:27 PM

Okay, fair enough. I assumed that BBF meant in addition to what others have said about actual medical treatment, but that may have inaccurate on my part. :)

5ccb98f6ae42ce87e206cf3f6a86039f

(11581)

on July 23, 2012
at 03:18 PM

-1 "This answer is not helpful" It doesn't address the problem. It offers something that looks like a solution that could distract from getting help for a potentially serious health issue.

61f9349ad28e3c42d1cec58ba4825a7d

(10480)

on July 23, 2012
at 03:00 PM

What's up with the downvote? +1 because there is nothing wrong with this answer and BoneBrothFast did not recommend anything dangerous, advise against medical treatment, or disagree with those that said the child should be taken to a doctor.

A968087cc1dd66d480749c02e4619ef4

(20436)

on July 23, 2012
at 01:08 PM

Please see a doctor about this. Paleohacks is not the best place to get specific medical advice as most of us are not doctors.

  • C046f655f2f13c630d3d3dea7f8102af

    asked by

    (5)
  • Views
    4.7K
  • Last Activity
    1259D AGO
Frontpage book

Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!

5 Answers

2
61f9349ad28e3c42d1cec58ba4825a7d

(10480)

on July 23, 2012
at 02:53 PM

As Dave S said, you should take him to see a doctor. This is PaleoHacks, not AllergyHacks; and we are just people trying to eat a healthier diet and live a healthier lifestyle. We are not allergy specialists. A possible peanut allergy is nothing to monkey around with and consult strangers without qualifications on the internet about. Peanut allergies can be deadly.

2
5ccb98f6ae42ce87e206cf3f6a86039f

(11581)

on July 23, 2012
at 02:24 PM

Allergies to peanuts can be deadly. Avoid all contact with them, peanut oil or any product that has been processed with peanuts until you know more about whether peanut allergy is the problem. The scratch allergy tests are not very accurate*. As Dave S. recommends, talk to a doctor.

*Opinions vary on this.

1
Bece741db5f5fed6bafa12e3548f973f

(715)

on July 23, 2012
at 05:30 PM

Be very careful. Get tested. Read every bag you pick up. I can't eat shrimp, but cross contamination can happen. I also cannot eat peanuts, but you'd be surprised how many bags of other nuts have peanut oil. Don't mess with it.

1
6120c989fd5b69f42a0834b69b87955b

(24553)

on July 23, 2012
at 10:06 AM

Sounds like you've done some self-testing by trying these things. Avoidance is the usual treatment for food allergies.

I get that same reaction to certain nuts, and chocolates that are cross-contaminated by nuts, swelling throat and tonsils is dangerous enough for me to be pretty vigilant and avoid those things. If your son's reactions involve a lot of swelling, carrying and epi-pen might not be a bad idea because there is some danger of cutting off of air supply if the reaction is really strong. You can treat acute allergic reactions with Benadryl, and should always have some on hand if he has allergies this pronounced. I've also found some relief using quercetin and nettles to recover in the days and weeks after a reaction, there is thought that it can be used daily to reduce reaction should an allergen be encountered.

You can get your son tested for allergies with a scratch test, which is done by an allergy specialist.

-1
0a9ad4e577fe24a6b8aafa1dd7a50c79

on July 23, 2012
at 02:46 PM

Put your son on an autoimmune protocol diet. There's several out there and they generally achieve the same thing.

61f9349ad28e3c42d1cec58ba4825a7d

(10480)

on July 23, 2012
at 04:27 PM

Okay, fair enough. I assumed that BBF meant in addition to what others have said about actual medical treatment, but that may have inaccurate on my part. :)

5ccb98f6ae42ce87e206cf3f6a86039f

(11581)

on July 23, 2012
at 03:18 PM

-1 "This answer is not helpful" It doesn't address the problem. It offers something that looks like a solution that could distract from getting help for a potentially serious health issue.

61f9349ad28e3c42d1cec58ba4825a7d

(10480)

on July 23, 2012
at 03:00 PM

What's up with the downvote? +1 because there is nothing wrong with this answer and BoneBrothFast did not recommend anything dangerous, advise against medical treatment, or disagree with those that said the child should be taken to a doctor.

0a9ad4e577fe24a6b8aafa1dd7a50c79

(5150)

on July 26, 2012
at 04:55 AM

Yeah, I'm a horrible person for recommending the only feasible solution that will allow her son to enjoy chocolate again.

Answer Question


Get FREE instant access to our
Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!