Throughout my life I have struggled with cystic acne, being overweight to obese, asthma, poor digestion, sleep issues, anxiety & ocd, disordered eating, and within the last 3 or so years awful headaches.
I tried variations of lo-carb high fat/protein , high carb, junk food vegetrian/pescetarian, weight watchers, atkins, pretty much if it existed and I didn't have to eat vegetables I tried it. My weight always fluctuated about 20 pounds +/- on all of the above and I was always cursed with the other health problems.
In January 2012 I went vegan not for ethical or health reasons but in hopes to control my binge eating disorder. Amazingly enough It actually did work in addition to that my acne cleared up, for the first time in my life I had properly working disgestion, and no more headaches. I also lost 65 lbs bringing me to a healthy body weight for the first time in my life. I later added in fish and eggs for added omega-3's and protein. No issues there. I was eating all kind of non-paleo approved foods like wheat and legumes and soy as well as lots of paleo friendly foods like wild caught fish and coconut and vegetables. I also intermittently fasted because I was so satisfied I sometimes just wouldn't be hungry for 15+ hours.
I went paleo about four months ago for no real reason other then experimentation and the pursuit of the best diet. Basically I didn't have immediate health problems that needed fixing. The stricter I get with paleo the worse I feel. Since I started:
- cystic acne is back along with less bright skin.
- extreme emotional instability, exact same issues I had on SAD.
- sluggish feeling.
- headaches returned
- weird joint pain
- poor digestion, either constipated or loose stool (yes, i'm taking probitics and eating fermented food)
- nausea, bloating, horrible foul smelling gas, and stomach pain.
- unusual hunger
So going through my food logs over the last year and a half iv'e managed to pinpoint a few things.
- Vegetable oil & grains are neutral as long as not consumed in more then half my diet.
- I do not handle any kind of sugar well and it's best to only have it as a rare treat
- Soy & peanuts are neutral, but black beans and pinto beans really help my digestion.
- I am lactose & casein intolerant
- seafood is awesome and eggs are neutral.
- Animals regardless of what kind (Poultry, beef/lamb/wild game, grass fed and pastured) all make me sick in more ways then one.
My main question here is WHY.
- If legumes are so bad why are they so helpful in my diet?
- Why do I get meat related headaches? stomach aches?
- Why does wheat not bloat me but pork does?
- If acne is caused by poor gut health and poor gut health is caused by toxins like wheat and legumes, why does my acne clear up with legums and grains but comes back with a high animal diet?
- Why Am I getting weird things like joint pain and facial swelling that iv'e never had before?
My pre-paleo diet was high in lots of paleo approved foods. Iv'e been off SAD for a long time. The literal only difference between good health and bad health for me seems to be not what I DONT eat (aka wheat or legumes) but what I do eat (aka animals)
asked byalex_54 (5)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on January 21, 2013
at 01:39 AM
do you take digestive enzymes? that might help with the digestion of meat. also, i think it's important to include probiotic foods like yogurt, kombucha, sauerkraut- whatever you like.
have you considered going back to your diet where you felt good? i wouldn't subject myself to the paleo diet if that makes me feel worse. it doesn't really make sense regardless if others do well on it. i did that once with raw veganism and paid for it badly with an illness i will have the rest of my life.
on June 05, 2013
at 04:12 AM
Sounds like you have candida and sibo. Gut dysbiosis
on February 07, 2013
at 06:55 PM
I'm eating a low-carb, dairy-free, Pescetarian diet and my skin has cleared dramatically! Oil production has also decreased significantly. I've noticed that a low-carb diet, free of grains and refined carbohydrates and rich in vegetables, plant-based fats and proteins, eggs and fish is key. I have so much energy, I'm more focused, I've lost weight, and my skin is glowing! I agree with a lot of what you have said!
on January 21, 2013
at 12:12 AM
Huh. I dunno. I think often restrictive diets feel good at first, but then start to present issues as your body adjusts. Things like hormones fluctuate and often we have found here in the Paleo land that this causes issues to surface---namely gut issues. I would recommend getting a metametrix stool analysis and see if anything is obviously going wrong in the gut and then work to fix it. In addition maybe get a blood panel done and have a naturopath interpret it OR if you cant afford that you can post results here and have some people chime in with ideas of what might be going wrong. Hope this helps.