Ok...so I've started the paleo WOE to get rid of my acne. In the past 3 or 4 weeks I have had no cheats except when I ate a bunch of peas at a restaurant (and broke out with several new pimples the next couple days). Everything was rainbows and unicorns because I was getting no new pimples and I thought, great, all I have to do is wait until the old ones heal then I'm clear! Not the case. The past 3 days or so I have gotten several new pimples, but I don't know where they are coming from! Just today I got a new pimple on my cheekbone, which is a weird place for me (I get most of my acne on forhead and around mouth/chin). Possible sources:
- too much sugar from fruit? Strawberries are in season and I was eating a lot of fruit last week. I thought this was the cause initally and have cut way down on fruit but obviously still breaking out.
- Cashews? This nut is like crack for me. I eat wayy too many. No 1/4 cup serving size for me.
- Trace amounts of added sugar, maltodextrin (the corn stuff, right?), and corn starch from the pre cooked TJ's chicken I have bought many times the past week for quick lunch salads. Damn the fine print!
- Traces of corn/wheat/gluten from the flaxseed oil pills I recently started taking. These have helped in the past so I figured why not. I only took them for 3 or 4 days I think which coincides with my breakouts, but again they have really helped in the past. I have stopped them anyways.
- Small amount of rice vinegar I had in a cucumber salad a few days ago.
The only dairy I eat is butter (goat or pastured/grassfed cow). ok I sound completely anal/orthorexic but I just want to get rid of my damn acne! I was SO confident the paleo diet would clear me up for good.
asked byRR (333)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!
on June 24, 2011
at 02:20 PM
Have you seriously increased your fish oil dose recently? I had a large amount of acne pop up after increasing my fish oil dose without titrating up slowly.
EDIT: just realized you wrote that you started taking flaxseed oil. I would recommend not taking that and taking fish oil instead if you're taking any omega 3s. And don't go for 6g/day immediately, but titrate up slowly based on how you feel from taking them. Maybe 1 pill, then 2 next week, and so forth until you feel okay/good.
on June 24, 2011
at 01:22 AM
Robb Wolf mentioned that Cordain wrote a book about it. More information is available here > http://thepaleodiet.com/dietary-cure-for-acne-book/ .
Most importantly. it takes around 30 days for the acne to show up after it has been "triggered" from what I have read on the internet. So your skin may not be on the same diet as you for a couple weeks yet.
on June 24, 2011
at 01:11 AM
Rocking -- that's a pain. Sorry to hear it. Couple of things to consider. First -- what's your age? Could be a factor. Next, acne can be bacterial -- might not have anything to do with your diet. Lastly, the only way to figure out if it's from something you've eaten or applied to your skin is to systematically test it -- right now, you have a whole bunch of potential factors all going on at once.
Sorry not to be more of a help. Ever try Proactive? Works really well for a lot of people. Don't give up on paleo.