My skin has gotten terrible since going paleo (3 months). None of the changes I've made have helped anything. I did a month of no dairy, nightshades, nuts, etc in addition to the standard restrictions. Until the last week I was VLC, but just started having a little fruit here and there.
I tried the oil cleaning method and I feel like that made things worse. I gave it a good month+. I don't know what I could have been doing wrong. Could I be eating too much fat? Maybe my cleansing oil ratios were off and that messed me up? In the beginning I was using coconut oil to moisturize, but later realized that wasn't a good idea. Could I still be reaping the ill effects of that? Any ideas oh what to do to combat? It's main clogged pores... I get a full blown pimple about once a week. I do treat them with tea tree oil.
Get Free Paleo Recipes Instantly
Things that seem to have helped my skin:
- Regular liver consumption. (I believe the vitamin A is good for acne, plus the plethora of minerals)
- Oysters. Or zinc supplementation.
- Adequate vitamin D.
- A good omega3:6 ratio.
- Less muscle meat, more bone broth and marrow.
- Possibly: magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin K2, eating only well cooked veggies
- I only wash my face every 2-3 days with water and a wash cloth. I splash on warm water, scrub lightly with the cloth, then rinse with cold water.
- Every couple of weeks I will wash with baking soda.
- I got a chlorine filter for my shower (they're pretty cheap).
Some more things to try:
- You may have a food sensitivity. You could experiment with eliminating foods (although it looks like you already tried this with dairy, nightshades and nuts). Eggs, perhaps?
- How's your stress level and sleep? The more stressed I am and the less sleep I get, the more pimply and blotchy my face seems to get.
- Probiotics and/or digestive enzymes seem to help some people with skin problems.
Sounds like you've received some good advice already as far as dietary changes you could make. Here's some other things to consider:
1) Drink more water, if you aren't drinking enough already.
2) Cater to your skin's needs. My face is oily, so I avoid adding extra oils/moisturizers. They're redundant.
3) Wash your pillow cases regularly. They collect a lot of crap, and said crap gets transferred to your face.
4) Remember to wash your make-up off before bed, if you wear any. This was a particularly nasty habit of mine.
These all made a huge difference in my complexion and the amount of break-outs I had, without changing my diet. Paleo, after all, is not a cure-all ;)
I had a similar experience, until I cut down on the fat. I found that fish oil was one of the primary culprits, and too many saturated fats in general made my acne worse. Guaranteed one tablespoon of coconut or fish oil will cause a breakout the next day. The only oil that works well for me is macademia nut oil, it has a 1:1 omega 6:3 ratio. If it's not the oil then it may be a food allergy.