While researching raw liver -- seems to be very commonly eaten among ancestral health eaters and generally give quite a bit of energy -- I found something quite potentially worrying.
This news article, from the Asahi Shimbun (daily newspaper in Japan) reports severe food poisoning leading to deaths from consuming raw livers.
In addition, it found e.coli **within** liver (not just on the surface), which could make liver cooked medium potentially unsafe.
"An advisory council of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare is working on measures to prevent food poisoning caused by raw beef liver, or liver sashimi, which is contaminated with pathogenic bacteria.
The panel started the work in response to a series of food poisoning cases connected to a "yakiniku" barbecue restaurant chain in spring last year.
Some 180 people became ill after eating "yukhoe"???a Korean dish made of chopped raw beef and seasoned with spices???which was served at the restaurant chain. Five people died.
Following the outbreak of food poisoning, the government established new safety standards for serving raw meat at restaurants in October and then began work to develop regulations concerning liver sashimi.
What is disturbing is the fact that highly toxic strains of enterohemorrhagic E. coli bacteria, including O-157, were found not only on the surface of the raw livers but also inside them.
The health ministry detected live enterohemorrhagic E. coli bacilli in the livers of three of the 173 cows it examined at meat inspection centers across the nation.
A liver that has live harmful bacteria inside cannot be made safe for eating only by heating its surface to kill bacteria.
Some people argue that raw liver should be totally banned from menus if the safety of consumers is the top priority, but representatives of the meat industry have urged the health ministry council not to impose a total ban on raw liver. The industry wants work out measures to ensure safety by commissioning research at universities and other research organizations.
A total of 116 cases of food poisoning from raw liver were reported during the 13 years through 2010. None of them resulted in death.
What are your thoughts? Could it have to do with the life (Raising, diet, environment/living conditions) of the animal, or could all liver potentially be worrying?
Ancient tribes did, indeed, revere the liver and often ate it immediately after hunting (while still warm). Some modern-day (civilized world) hunters do this, too.
asked bySabertooth (529)
Get FREE instant access to our Paleo For Beginners Guide & 15 FREE Recipes!